The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) has released a CCTV image showing a bent track where a train derailed in Lewes, East Sussex, on August 13, an incident that injured 30 people. The crash occurred on what was the UK’s hottest day of 2026 so far, with temperatures reaching 38.1C in west London.
Investigators described the fault, recorded by cameras on preceding services, as a “track geometry irregularity”. The RAIB noted there was “a sustained period of hot and dry weather” before the accident. There is a risk of rails buckling during high temperatures as they can be 50C when the air temperature is 30C.
Details of the Derailment
Preliminary analysis of the derailed Southern train’s onboard data recorder shows it was travelling at about 65mph as it approached the point of derailment at 3.54pm on August 13. About 150 people were onboard the eight-carriage service from London Victoria to Eastbourne. Three carriages ended up on their side, trapping passengers.
A total of 30 people were injured, including 20 who required hospital treatment, the RAIB said. British Transport Police previously said two people sustained serious injuries which were not deemed to be life-threatening.
Investigation and Safety Measures
The RAIB said its investigation will consider the weather conditions as well as the status of the track and embankment, the condition of the train and the effectiveness of any measures taken to address potential issues caused by hot weather. After the accident, investigators received “several reports of rough riding” from passengers on other trains at the same location.
Lucy McAuliffe, Network Rail’s Sussex route director, and John Whitehurst, chief executive at GTR, which operates Southern, issued a joint statement insisting Britain’s railway is “one of the safest in the world”. It is “essential” that “we understand exactly what happened” at Lewes and “identify any lessons that can be learned”, they said. They added: “We will carefully consider any recommendations arising from the investigation and work across the industry to implement them.”
Impact and Ongoing Closure
The railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath will remain closed until at least the end of service on August 26 as the train is recovered and the track repaired. A Department for Transport spokesperson said: “Safety remains the absolute priority across our rail network, and we will ensure the industry acts on any findings in the Rail Accident Investigation Branch’s full report when published.” They noted that the UK’s railways remain among the safest in the world, with delays caused by track faults falling by 45% since the late 2000s, and that £29 billion is being invested to renew and maintain the network with a further £2.6 billion to improve climate resilience.



