A prominent Scottish butcher has launched a campaign urging the United States to lift its long-standing ban on haggis, just as the Tartan Army prepares to travel across the Atlantic for the World Cup. US federal food regulations have effectively prohibited the traditional Scottish dish since 1971 due to its inclusion of sheep lungs, preventing Scottish producers from exporting it.
Campaign to Legalise Haggis
Simon Howie Butchers, based in Perthshire, is spearheading a petition titled “make haggis legal again.” The initiative is fronted by Scottish broadcaster and journalist Gordon Smart. Football fans heading to the US are being supplied with flags bearing the slogan “no haggis, no party” to show their support.
Simon Howie said: “Scotland football fans are widely recognised as the best in the world and they are about to make the trip of a lifetime, but they’ll be doing it without access to their national dish. With such warmth and long-standing affinity between Americans and Scots, we’re appealing to the USA to embrace this delicious delicacy and ‘make haggis legal again’.”
Gordon Smart added: “For Scotland fans, summer 2026 is going to be a trip we’ll never forget. We’ll have the flags, the songs and the scarves, and if this petition has anything to do with it, we’ll have the haggis too. Simon Howie is fighting for every Scot and honorary Scot out there, so let’s get behind the campaign and make history on and off the pitch. Because after all, if there’s no haggis, there’s no party.”
The US embassy in London has been approached for comment regarding the ban, which has been in place for over five decades.
Steve Clarke Praises Tartan Army
In related news, Scotland head coach Steve Clarke hailed the Tartan Army as the acceptable face of Scottish football fans after a series of unsavoury pitch invasions at club level. Last week, Celtic fans flooded the pitch after their team clinched the William Hill Premiership title with a 3-1 win over Hearts. Similar incidents occurred at Motherwell and during an Old Firm cup tie at Ibrox in March.
Scotland qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time since 1998 with a dramatic 4-2 victory over Denmark in November. Clarke noted that Scottish fans remained in their seats to celebrate that triumph. Speaking at Hampden after naming his World Cup squad, he said: “That (Denmark game) just shows that you can enjoy yourself without going out on the pitch. There is no need for people to be on the pitch. The reputation of the Tartan Army and the Scottish fans is well known worldwide. Even over the disappointment in Germany (2024 European Championship), the Tartan Army were top supporters. They made a lot of friends in Germany and I’m sure they will make more friends over in the States.”
Clarke added: “I think the international scene is separate from the domestic scene so the feel-good factor is around the international team. The way the league season ended with the scenes on Saturday at Celtic Park was not good for Scottish football. It’s a bad look that doesn’t do anybody any favours. It’s much better that people celebrate but stay where they should stay. People invading the pitch is not right because player safety is endangered. That is not correct – anywhere. On the pitch is the players’ place of work. People should not go on the pitch, it’s quite clear.”
Clarke also expressed hope that his contract situation, which expires this summer, would be resolved before the team departs for the United States. He said: “Hopefully. That would be the plan. I’m pretty sure it will be. But let’s just talk about the squad, not me. I’m not important today.”



