St Mary's Church of England Middle School in Belford, Northumberland, is set to be demolished to make way for a housing development of 23 new homes. The school closed in 2018 and has been vacant since 2023.
Housing mix and community contributions
The development will include a mix of two and three-bedroom homes, as well as two bungalows. The scheme falls below the threshold for providing affordable housing, but the developer will contribute nearly £39,000 towards open spaces in the village and £16,500 to local healthcare services.
Memorial trees to be retained
Concerns had been raised locally about the future of 45 memorial trees planted on the site. These trees are set to be protected during the demolition and construction process.
Speaking at Thursday's meeting of Northumberland County Council's North Area Planning Committee, developer Garry Herron said: "From the outset we have recognised this is a site with a history and a strong connection to the local community.
"One particularly important example is the memorial trees. We have worked with the Diocese to understand the significance and retain them in the current development - their retention has been integrated into our purchase contract, reflecting the importance of protecting them during the redevelopment.
"We understand they're not simply landscaping - they have a real importance to former pupils, staff and families.
"We had the intention of creating homes suitable for a broad range of families. It's not simply about building 23 homes, it is bringing a site back into use while respecting the history."
Planning approval
No objectors spoke at the meeting, and only two objections were received prior to the application coming to committee. Belford's ward councillor and the council's cabinet member for education, Coun Guy Renner-Thompson, said: "This is a good development. It ticks all the boxes, it protects the trees and gives money to the village's open spaces.
"It is always sad to see a school knocked down, but this one has been closed for quite some time and the playing fields are being transferred to the community. There are a number of sites in Belford that are blighting the village, so it is good to see this is finally coming forward."
The plans were unanimously approved by the committee members.



