The chair of Spirit of Shankly says they are planning to speak to Liverpool over reports that Amit Bhatia's consortium, which purchased over a third of the club last week, can buy it outright in 12 months for £6billion.
SOS chief Jay McKenna has also questioned how the 1892 Holdings group - which contains Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and the co-founder of Facebook, Eduardo Saverin - plans to drive revenues further at Anfield, just months after the club made public a compromise over controversial plans to raise ticket prices.
Last week it was confirmed that Mr Bhatia, who left Queens Park Rangers after nearly 20 years, would become Liverpool's vice chairman with Elaine Saverin and Bryan Baum on the new-look board at Anfield as the representatives of Saverin and Bezos, respectively.
Questions Over Takeover Rights
Bezos is the third richest man on the planet with a net worth of £204billion, while Saverin, the Harvard-educated, Brazilian-born businessman, has a personal fortune of around £24billion.
It's understood that the stake purchased by 1892 Holdings is worth as much as 38% and around £1.65billion. A report from American publication CNBC on Friday, however, claimed the organisation could become the majority shareholder next year, which would pave the way for Fenway Sports Group's eventual departure at Anfield.
Fenway sources have described the agreement as a flexible one without confirming that Bhatia's firm are poised to take full control next year and Spirit of Shankly chair McKenna says the supporters' union are seeking direct clarity.
"One of the questions we will be asking is that we have been led to understand this change of ownership is guaranteed," McKenna told the ECHO. "We want to understand that and want to put it to FSG and the new owners."
"If we were told that the investors don't have the right to [complete a full takeover] or if it's just an option, and then next summer the club gets sold then we will want to know why we weren't told."
Fans Seek Transparency
"They won't want the endless speculation, especially if people don't like the way it is going and they call for new owners. But fans will want to know that because it is about transparency and honesty and I think there is a way for the club to lead the way on this."
"I don't think anyone would look at this and say the level of the people involved are always content to just have a minority stake in Liverpool FC. They will want a say and if you asked most people, they would say it is to get a foot in the door and they want a bit of it long term."
"With FSG, this might not mean a 100% sale overnight but I can certainly see a world where they decrease their ownership over time."
"That will be a question we will want to ask in light of the media reports that it is a little bit more than an option, as opposed to a right to do it. So that is something we want to ask them."
On Monday, SOS asked fans for their thoughts on the investment news as they look to collate questions and concerns to take to the club for more information.
Dialogue With New Owners
McKenna added: "What do [our members] think about this? What do you think this means for Liverpool? What is it you'd like for us to pose to the club and to Amit Bhatia?"
"Because it is only right that supporters get a voice in all of this. Hopefully we can get some answers for supporters, not for reassurances, but so they can get the information and make their own minds up."
"It's the best way for the people to get to know supporters - by hearing from them directly about what they think and feel about things. Hopefully they can then use that to make it a success."
Liverpool's most recent revenues, made public in January, saw them break the £700m barrier for the first time - which was the most of an English club - before a post-tax profit of £8m was disclosed in February's financial results.
It's understood FSG were not duty-bound to make the Liverpool Supporters' Board, created in the aftermath of the European Super League debacle in 2021, aware of the impending investment, however.
Mr McKenna, a season-ticket holder at Anfield, believes open and honest dialogue between the club, its owners and the relevant fan groups, can only benefit Liverpool FC going forward as a new era approaches on and off the pitch.
He added: "We did reach out to the club when the speculation first surfaced and there was no denial. The club couldn't tell us too much at that juncture but they [said they] would when they could and to be fair we did get a heads up."
"We had some early talks with them about conversations around it but there was no consultation period around them saying: 'We think these are the right people, here's what it means.'"
"We were told the same others have been told - there is no change on day-to-day running, it's a small change on the board."
"But, you know, fans have seen this before and at other clubs, when rich individuals come in, so we want to engage and understand more and also for them to understand the fans a bit more."
"I've said to Liverpool owners good and bad [in the past] that fans are here with a voice and sometimes that means they get held to account and hear some things they don't like, but it's done with the best of intentions."
"But it's a powerful force you can use on your side too. So if you can get the fans onside like we have seen Liverpool do then it can also make them understand what makes fans the way they are and it can be a powerful force for you."
"The effect on the pitch, we've seen that in fairly recent times, and it can help off it too. So I'd like think we can have that conversation and hope the new people get to understand that in time and understand a little bit more about each other."



