The chief executive of National Lottery operator Allwyn UK is stepping down after a nearly three-year tenure that saw the completion of a major technology upgrade.
Andria Vidler will leave her role next month following an agreement with UK chairman Justin King. Phil Walker, who joins from betting shop chain William Hill, will replace her on an interim basis from September 7.
A transition point
Ms Vidler said she decided it was the “right moment” to hand over to a new boss to drive growth following the completion of the tech upgrade. She took the helm in October 2023, before Allwyn took over from Camelot to run the lottery in early 2024.
Her tenure began with legal issues that delayed plans for new draw-based games and reduced the amount of money the National Lottery could give to good causes in the early part of Allwyn’s 10-year licence.
Achievements and handover
Since then, Allwyn has completed a £450 million tech upgrade and unveiled the biggest overhaul to its draw-based Lotto game since its launch in 1994.
Ms Vidler said: “It has been a huge privilege to lead Allwyn UK through such an important period for the National Lottery.” She added that the last three years required “enormous focus and commitment” from colleagues, and that with the major transition complete, “this feels like the right moment for me to pass on the baton.”
Chairman Mr King said Ms Vidler “led from the front through an intense period of change” and helped complete the “much-needed and long-overdue transformation” of the National Lottery. He welcomed Phil Walker as interim CEO as Allwyn continues to modernise and strengthen the lottery for players, retailers and good causes.



