Wayne Rooney has told Manchester United that signing Myles Lewis-Skelly is a no-brainer, with a deal still reportedly being worked on for the Arsenal star. The versatile England international was said to be offered to Chelsea and United last week following the arrival of Bruno Guimaraes at Emirates Stadium.
Rooney's Verdict on Lewis-Skelly
Both players went on to start the dominant Community Shield win over Manchester City, with Lewis-Skelly assisting Riccardo Calafiori's early goal with a sublime pass. The majority of Lewis-Skelly's senior appearances have come at left-back, though he prefers to play in midfield, and that was where he was deployed on Sunday afternoon.
United are looking at strengthening in the two positions Lewis-Skelly can play in, with Rooney of the belief that bringing him to Old Trafford, if feasible, is a no-brainer. He said on the first episode of Stick To United: "Lewis Skelly, we're hearing that he is available for not much money, I think it's an absolute no-brainer (to sign him)."
"If you can get a player that can play left back and central midfield. He's young and he's got a massive future ahead of him, I think that's an absolute no-brainer if you can bring him in."
Arsenal's Financial Situation
Arsenal have spent a lot over the last couple of years, there's him and Nwaneri as well, and it would be pure profit for those two players. "It's not a great look for Arsenal but I can see why they might need to sell. But if you're United and a player like Lewis-Skelly becomes available…"
Though the 19-year-old does not appear particularly keen on leaving his boyhood club, The Athletic have stated a deal for Lewis-Skelly is still seen as possible.
United's Left-Back Options
United's priority may also end up being away from the teenager, however, particularly considering his desire to play in midfield and Luke Shaw's mixed display against AC Milan. Manchester United are looking for competition for Luke Shaw. Michael Carrick has several options that can play in a midfield pivot, but Shaw is the only natural left-back and is likely to need help given United are back in the Champions League.
Jorge Salinas of Racing Santander, Club Brugge's Joaquin Seys, and Newcastle United star Lewis Hall have also been linked. It has been made clear the latter is not available for transfer, while Brugge's stance is that Seys cannot leave. Salinas, meanwhile, prefers a move to Barcelona over Old Trafford.
The summer window closes in two weeks, and thus United do not have much time to complete more deals, with it extremely unlikely that any fresh faces come in before their season-opener against Hull City this Saturday.



