Andoni Iraola has vowed Liverpool will sign new players before the transfer window closes on September 1, admitting their understocked squad is "quite thin" ahead of Sunday's opening Premier League fixture against Newcastle United.
The new Spanish manager is short on attacking options and has not yet replaced goal machine Mohamed Salah. The Reds' only arrivals so far are young Spanish winger Victor Munoz (£34.6million), young French defender Jeremy Jacquet (£60m) and ex-Barcelona captain and centre-back Ronald Araujo, who has joined on loan with a £47.1m buy option.
Iraola's Transfer Promise
After news leaked on Friday of a failed £50m bid for Brighton's right winger Yankuba Minteh that was rejected, Iraola told Sky: "We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end… But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1. Because it is true that we are still quite thin."
Reds Sanction Trio's Departure
Liverpool have permitted young trio Kieran Morrison, Calvin Ramsay and Ifeanyi Ndukwe to leave Anfield on loan deals, reports the Mirror. Morrison, 19, will join Sheffield Wednesday in League One, who lost their first game of the season to Yorkshire rivals Bradford City on Thursday night. The forward penned fresh terms with the Reds in May and earned his first senior international cap for Northern Ireland in June.
Ramsay has featured infrequently since arriving at Liverpool from Aberdeen in 2022 and has had spells with Preston, Bolton, Wigan and Kilmarnock subsequently. Now, it's suggested the right-back is poised to join St. Mirren on loan. His contract expires next summer, which could effectively signal the end of his time with the Reds.
Ndukwe, the final star set to depart, made a significant impact in pre-season. However, due to work permit complications, the 18-year-old centre-back isn't eligible to play senior football for the Reds yet. As a result, he's being loaned out to Spanish outfit Levante and has already flown out ahead of a move to La Liga, where he'll play until at least January.
Van Dijk Makes Demand
Virgil van Dijk will start the season alongside a new centre-back partner now that Ibrahima Konate has transferred to Real Madrid. Either Jacquet or Araujo will line up next to him, but he has spoken out ahead of the campaign, calling for more from his colleagues and the new recruits following the shocking fifth placed finish last time out.
"For me personally, being a Liverpool player, last year was unacceptable," Van Dijk stated. "But that is last year. This year, we have an opportunity to turn that around, together with our fans.
"And we all know how tough that will be, but if you're not up for the challenge, then you're not at the right place. What I feel at the moment is everyone is up for the challenge. Let's see how we go about it.
"I'm really looking forward to this season and I don't think we have a point to prove to anyone. We have to show how much we care, how much we want to fight for this badge and also realise how privileged we are to be playing for Liverpool.
"If you look at Bournemouth last year [under Iraola], I think they were pretty exciting. I would say if we keep working, keep believing, keep showing our quality, staying fit, and hopefully win a lot of games then we can be very excited."
Minteh Latest
Minteh, 22, is currently recovering from surgery after suffering a right leg injury earlier this month in a friendly against Roma. Despite the issue likely ruling him out for two to three months, Iraola is targeting the Gambia international to boost his attacking options. Minteh is said to be keen on a move to Anfield if the two Premier League clubs can agree on a fee. However, Brighton are under no pressure to sell, with the speedy star under contract until 2029.
He has scored nine goals and provided eight assists in 66 league games since his arrival at the Amex Stadium in 2024. Minteh was previously on Liverpool's radar when he was at Newcastle United.



