Fonua-Blake Eyes Origin Dream After NRL Rule Change
Sharks powerhouse prop Addin Fonua-Blake has declared it would be a 'great feeling' to experience the brutal intensity of State of Origin, revealing his eligibility for New South Wales under new rugby league regulations. The NRL's revised eligibility laws, announced on Monday, now permit Kiwi and English players to represent NSW or Queensland if they were born in or played football in either state before turning 13.
Path Cleared for Formerly Ineligible Stars
Previously, players born in or representing tier-one nations like New Zealand and England were barred from Origin selection. Fonua-Blake, who played most of his junior football for Mascot Jets in NSW before age 13, was ineligible due to a single appearance for New Zealand against Scotland at the 2017 World Cup. 'I'm 100 per cent NSW,' Fonua-Blake stated, expressing sadness at watching recent Origin matches from home, admitting he felt 'jealous' of the contests last June.
The Sharks front-rower emphasised his continued commitment to Test football for Tonga but acknowledged his dream of partnering Payne Haas in the Blues' front row for Origin I in Sydney on May 27. 'Payne's a generational talent. No doubt when he's finished up, he'll probably be an Immortal of the game,' Fonua-Blake said. 'To have the chance to play alongside him, that's something that would be pretty special. I'll be taking notes off him if I ever get that chance.'
Expanded Pool of Eligible Players
The rule change has opened doors for several other prominent NRL stars:
- Penrith young gun Casey McLean
- Roosters lock Victor Radley, born in Sydney but previously ineligible due to representing England
- Sharks teammate Briton Nikora, who moved to the Gold Coast from New Zealand aged nine
Nikora, who attended renowned rugby league high school Keebra Park, declared himself ready for a Queensland call-up. 'If it comes, I won't back down from that arena, I'll be keen and if he (Billy Slater) wanted to have a chat with me…I'd put my hand up for it straight away,' the Sharks back-rower said. Nikora added that Fonua-Blake should walk straight into the NSW team this year, noting 'Him and Payne Haas lining up together…you never thought you'd see it.'
Mixed Reactions to Eligibility Overhaul
While Broncos lock Pat Carrigan welcomed the NRL's new Origin rules, former Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga warned the Australian national team risked being decimated by the changes. Some fans expressed discontent online, with one criticising: 'Congratulations V'landys, Abdo and Pearce. You've turned origin into a circus.' Another added: 'Origin is Queensland v NSW and a pathway to playing for Australia. Origin will be nothing more than an All-Star game.'
Despite the controversy, Fonua-Blake remains focused on the opportunity, describing Origin rivalries as 'something in sport people love and to be a part of it would be a great feeling.' The rule change marks a significant shift in rugby league's selection landscape, potentially transforming State of Origin's traditional boundaries while creating new possibilities for international players with Australian grassroots connections.