Igor Tudor Demands No Excuses from Tottenham Squad in Relegation Fight
Tudor Demands No Excuses from Tottenham in Relegation Battle

Igor Tudor Demands No Excuses from Tottenham Squad in Relegation Fight

The no-nonsense Croatian manager, Igor Tudor, has issued a stark warning to his new Tottenham Hotspur players, demanding they eliminate all excuses as he prepares to guide the struggling north London club away from the Premier League relegation battle. Appointed on an interim basis for the remainder of the season, the 47-year-old has taken over from Thomas Frank with the urgent task of staving off the drop, with Spurs currently just five points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United.

Tudor Inherits a Depleted and Disheartened Squad

Tudor steps into a challenging situation, inheriting a squad that is both heavily depleted by injuries and visibly disheartened by recent poor performances. He has emphasised the need for an immediate reaction as the season hurtles towards its final stages, with time running out to secure Premier League survival.

'The first priority is to give everything the team needs in these moments,' Tudor stated in an interview on the club's official website. 'First of all, to get some confidence, to get some courage, but also in the same way, the concrete things on the pitch. There is no time to find excuses. What I said from the first day here, each of us, each of the players need to give something, something more, something extra, because the position of the club in this moment is not that anybody can accept.'

He acknowledged the difficulties, adding, 'The situation is not easy because, as you know better than me, we have a lot of injured players, so we need first to find the best system that suits the players that are available at this moment.'

Promising an Attacking Philosophy and Smart Football

Setting out his managerial philosophy, Tudor has promised to deliver attacking football, a welcome change for fans who have grown frustrated with the conservative approach under previous manager Thomas Frank. 'I like to play offensive football,' he declared. 'That's my first goal. I like to score goals, but in the same way, for sure, you need to give organisation in defence. I believe in style—style is more important than the system, of course.'

He stressed the importance of preparation, noting, 'Sunday and the game is a consequence of the training. So, that needs to be focused.' Tudor also highlighted the evolution of modern football, stating, 'I believe that in football, in 2026, it's changed a lot... If you can run 115 kilometres as a team, it's better than 105... but that without quality—you can do nothing. Offensive football, yes, but smart. So, that's the key.'

Familiar Faces and a Crucial North London Derby Ahead

Despite the injury crisis, Tudor does have some familiar faces in the squad, having previously worked with Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur during their time together at Juventus. However, both players are currently unavailable due to injuries, further complicating his selection options.

His first match in charge will be the highly anticipated north London derby next weekend, a fixture that carries immense significance for the club and its supporters. 'This derby is a fantastic game to play,' Tudor said. 'We want to play this game in a way that our fans will like. I'm going to give everything what we have, in the right way, brave, but in the same way intelligent and smart, to achieve what we want, and that's the victory.'

As Tottenham prepare for this critical encounter, Tudor's message is clear: the time for excuses is over, and only a collective, extra effort from every player can secure the results needed to avoid relegation and restore pride at the club.