Jockey Greg Fairley Rides First Winner After 12-Year Corruption Ban
Jockey's First Win After 12-Year Corruption Ban

Jockey Greg Fairley, who was banned from horse racing for twelve years due to serious corruption offences, has secured his first victory since being permitted to return to the sport. The 38-year-old Scot, once celebrated as the champion apprentice on the Flat in 2007, achieved this milestone at Wolverhampton on Monday, riding the Ewan Whillans-trained Ramon Di Loria to success.

A Promising Career Derailed by Scandal

Greg Fairley was a rising star in British Flat racing, amassing 381 winners in Britain and enjoying top-level triumphs, including a Group 1 win in Germany in 2010 aboard Lady Jane Digby, trained by his former mentor Mark Johnston. However, his career came to an abrupt halt in December 2011 when a British Horseracing Authority disciplinary panel found him guilty of not riding The Staffy on its merits at Wolverhampton in March 2009.

The Corruption Case and Lengthy Ban

The panel also convicted Fairley of passing on privileged information for reward, leading to his 12-year exclusion from racing. In the same case, jockey Paul Doe received a 12-year ban, Kirsty Milczarek was suspended for two years, and Jimmy Quinn for six months. This scandal cast Fairley out of the sport in disgrace, ending what had been a promising trajectory.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Life During the Ban and Path to Return

During his lengthy period of exclusion, Fairley worked as a tree surgeon to sustain himself. He began riding work for trainer Sandy Thomson in 2021, gradually rebuilding his connections in the racing world. The path to a competitive comeback was cleared in May last year when he successfully applied for the return of his jockey's licence.

Licensing Committee's Verdict

The licensing committee, which described the case as "very difficult to determine," concluded that Fairley is now trustworthy. They stated, "We tend to the view that, given his experience over the last 12-13 years, he is unlikely ever to engage in dishonest or corrupt behaviour again and unlikely to breach any integrity Rules." This endorsement paved the way for his return to race-riding.

The Comeback and First Victory

In 2025, Fairley took 38 mounts, finishing in the top positions six times. His persistence paid off in 2026 with his first winner from 15 rides, achieved at Wolverhampton. Reflecting on his journey, Fairley told Sky Sports Racing, "It's been a long, frustrating road but I've finally done it. There were a few seconds and places, but I'm glad to be able to get one."

Gratitude and Future Prospects

Fairley expressed deep gratitude to his supporters, particularly trainer Ewan Whillans, as well as Katie Scott and Iain Jardine, for providing opportunities. He acknowledged the challenges of being based in the north, with extensive travel and limited riding-out days, but remains optimistic. "Hopefully this is something to build on. It's been 14 years away from the game, so fingers crossed this gives me a jump-start," he said.

To stay busy, Fairley continues tree surgery work and has completed certification through JETS, a programme he recommends to other jockeys. His comeback marks a significant personal and professional redemption, highlighting the rigorous integrity standards in horse racing while offering a story of second chances in the sport.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration