Marc Guehi's Message to Liverpool After Failed Transfer Ahead of Man City Clash
Guehi's Message to Liverpool After Failed Transfer Before City Game

Marc Guehi's New Message to Liverpool Over Failed Transfer as Man City Showdown Awaits

Liverpool missed out on securing Marc Guehi's signature at the end of the summer transfer window, and they will now come up against their former target when Manchester City visit Anfield on Sunday. The England international defender saw his potential move to Merseyside collapse before eventually joining City in January, setting the stage for a highly anticipated Premier League encounter.

Guehi's Perspective on the Failed Liverpool Move

Marc Guehi says he is looking forward to facing Liverpool in what will be the first meeting with Manchester City since his failed Anfield move. The former Crystal Palace stopper was on the verge of joining the Reds during the summer transfer window before the South London club pulled the plug on the deal at the last moment. Guehi has since visited Anfield with Oliver Glasner's side in the Carabao Cup, however Sunday's Premier League clash with Liverpool will mark the first encounter since his January transfer to the North West.

The Premier League champions were initially intent on waiting until the summer to reignite their interest in the 25-year-old defender, when his contract was due to expire. However, Manchester City entered the race unexpectedly and made their move, signing the England international for a reported £20 million to address their defensive struggles. Liverpool decided the financial aspects were not feasible at that time, allowing their rivals to secure the player's services.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Liverpool's Defensive Situation and Transfer Activity

Liverpool did make one defensive addition during the transfer window but will have to wait until summer for the move to be completed after winning the race to sign Jeremy Jacquet. Manager Arne Slot admitted that they tried to strengthen their squad last month but were ultimately unsuccessful in their efforts.

Slot explained: "I think I've said that we've tried to strengthen the squad, so that probably tells you I wanted players and I don't think I was the only one who wanted that. But it's always about availability and the right player. We do have discussions about what is good for the short and for the long term of the club."

The manager continued: "For example, Jeremy Jacquet wasn't available for the winter, but he was for the summer. We've made a decision to sign him because we think he's a really good signing for the future of this club. I'm very happy with the squad. Let that be clear. But we have three long-term injuries, and that's why we've tried to strengthen the squad in winter break."

Guehi's Focus on Manchester City and Personal Development

Guehi dismissed any suggestion of extra significance attached to his trip across East Lancashire Road, insisting that his failed move to Liverpool holds no particular importance for him personally. The defender emphasized his commitment to Manchester City and his development at the Etihad Stadium.

He told Sky Sports: "I just feel like this is the place for me to improve. Just being here for two minutes, it feels like I've learned so much from every single person, the players, the staff and the manager. I feel like I've been filled with so much knowledge and it's exactly what I've been wanting for so long - it's great."

Regarding his preference for staying out of the spotlight, Guehi added: "It depends how the type of person you are, how you deal with different situations. For me, I just like to be in the background. My face being everywhere isn't nice. You're at the football club so of course, football is on, but I've got good people around me, I just want to do my job."

Looking Ahead to the Anfield Showdown

When asked specifically about the failed move to Liverpool and ending up at Manchester City instead, Guehi responded philosophically: "I've said in previous interviews that it wasn't up to me, it was God's plan and God's plan has been in full fruition. So I'm just looking forward to playing a game, playing a top opposition and a great environment, and doing the best I can to get a win."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Liverpool are facing a crucial battle in their push for Champions League qualification, and the visit of Manchester City marks another must-win fixture in their final 14 Premier League matches of the season. The match follows earlier kick-offs featuring Manchester United and Chelsea before the two English juggernauts lock horns at Anfield on Sunday with a 4:30pm start time.

Marc Guehi could have potentially lined up against Manchester City for Liverpool, but instead he will be wearing the blue corner on Sunday, adding an intriguing subplot to what promises to be a pivotal Premier League encounter between two of England's footballing giants.