Benfica's Prestianni Denies Racism Claims as Club Releases Video Evidence
Benfica Player Denies Racism Claims, Club Releases Video

Benfica Player Breaks Silence on Vinicius Jr Racism Allegations

Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni has publicly addressed the accusations of racist abuse directed at Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior during a heated Champions League play-off match. The Argentine international firmly denies any racist intent, suggesting instead that Vinicius misinterpreted his words during the controversial incident.

Match Halted Amid Allegations

The first leg of the Champions League play-off between Benfica and Real Madrid was dramatically suspended on Tuesday night after Vinicius reported alleged racist abuse to referee Francois Letexier. The Brazilian forward had just scored the opening goal in the 50th minute at the Estadio da Luz, putting Real Madrid 1-0 ahead, before being shown a yellow card for his celebrations in front of the home supporters.

As the match was about to resume, Vinicius approached the match official to report that he had been racially abused. The Brazilian international specifically accused Prestianni of directing racist remarks towards him near the centre circle, prompting him to leave the pitch followed by his teammates. The game was paused for approximately ten minutes before eventually restarting, with Real Madrid securing a narrow 1-0 victory.

Social Media Statements from Both Sides

Following the match, Vinicius took to social media to express his frustration, stating: "Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts over their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish them."

The Real Madrid star continued: "Nothing that happened here is new in my life or my family's. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. I still don't understand why. On the other hand, it was just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose. I don't like appearing in situations like this, especially after a great victory when the headlines have to be about Real Madrid, but it's necessary."

In response, Prestianni posted his own statement on social media, writing: "I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults at the player Vinicius Junior, who unfortunately misinterpreted what he thought he heard. I have never been racist and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Benfica Releases Unseen Video Evidence

In a remarkable development, Benfica have released previously unseen video footage of the incident captured from the sidelines. The footage shows Prestianni pulling his shirt over his face before speaking in the direction of Vinicius Junior. The Portuguese club shared the video with the caption: "Together, by your side," while using it as evidence to support their player's version of events.

Benfica officials argued that the distance between the players meant Real Madrid teammates could not have accurately heard what was said, despite Eduardo Camavinga and Kylian Mbappe being nearby. The club stated: "As the images demonstrate, given the distance, the Real Madrid players could not have heard what they claim to have heard."

Managerial and Player Reactions

Benfica manager Jose Mourinho weighed in on the controversy, accusing Vinicius of inciting the crowd with his goal celebration and defending his club's reputation. Mourinho told Amazon Prime: "I saw two completely different things. I want to be independent, and I don't comment about it. I told him [Vinicius] exactly that. When you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back."

The experienced manager added: "I told him [Vinicius] - when he was arguing about racism, I told him the biggest person [Eusebio] in the history of this club was black. This club, the last thing that it is, is racist. If in his mind there was something in relation to that – this in Benfica. They [Vinicius and Prestianni] told me different things. But I don't believe in one or another. I want to be an independent."

Vinicius received support from his Real Madrid teammates, with Trent Alexander-Arnold stating: "Vini's been subjected to this a few times throughout his career and for it to happen tonight and ruin the night for us as a team is a disgrace. Like I said, it's a disgrace to football. There's no place for it in football or society. It's disgusting."

The incident has sparked widespread debate about racism in football, with both clubs and players presenting conflicting accounts of what transpired during the crucial Champions League encounter. As investigations continue, the football world awaits further developments in this sensitive and high-profile case.