San Diego Mosque Shooting Suspect Identified as Former Wrestler
San Diego Mosque Shooting Suspect Identified as Former Wrestler

One of the alleged shooters who opened fire at a mosque in San Diego has been identified as a 17-year-old former school wrestler. Three people were killed when two gunmen sprayed bullets outside the Islamic Center of San Diego in California on Monday. The teenage suspects were later identified as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, and were found dead inside a BMW near the mosque, reportedly with self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Suspect's Background

Clark has been revealed to be a former high school wrestler, with images showing the teenager displaying his medals. Hate speech had reportedly been inscribed into one of the weapons used in the attack, and anti-Islamic writings were allegedly discovered in the suspects' car. Clark had been a wrestler at Madison High School during the 2024-25 season but did not attend the school as a student, according to NBC. A spokesperson for the San Diego Unified School District said Clark had been attending virtual classes and was due to graduate this month.

Family Reaction

The 17-year-old's grandfather, David Clark, 78, told the New York Post: "We're very sorry for what happened. We know as much as you do. It's a shock."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Police Response

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said officers were called at 9:42 a.m. local time by a mother reporting a "runaway juvenile" who she believed was suicidal. The mother added that "several of her weapons" had vanished, as well as her car. A shotgun with a sticker that said "SS" was also found near the crime scene, a reference to the Schutzstaffel, which enforced Adolf Hitler's racial policies during Nazi Germany. The mother also told police that her son was with another person and saw them both dressed in camouflage before reporting them. It is not clear if this missing teenager is one of the suspects.

Hate Crime Investigation

Wahl said the attack was being investigated as a hate crime and that the "circumstances that led up to this" would emerge in the days ahead. On the mother who called police before the attack, Wahl said: "She was beginning to develop a bigger picture as to what she was dealing with and was conveying that to our folks, and we were trying to put that together and get out in front of this as quickly as we could." The mother also found a note, Wahl said, without disclosing its contents, but added: "There was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved."

Victims and Heroism

Amin Abdullah was reportedly one of the three people killed in the attack. The security guard was described as a hero by parents of children who attended the Islamic Center of San Diego. Sam Hamideh, speaking to CNN, said: "He wasn't just some security guard. Knowing him for the past four years, I know that he knew he was sacrificing himself. If he didn't take that bullet, they would easily have walked upstairs and then there's just innocent eight and younger [children] and women, and people that couldn't defend themselves." Wahl also praised the security guard and said: "Undoubtedly he saved lives today." Police responded within four minutes of being called, Wahl said. As they arrived, gunshots rang out a few blocks away where a landscaper was shot at but uninjured.

The centre is the largest mosque in San Diego County and includes the Al Rashid School that offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students ages five and up, according to its website.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration