Red Lobster’s oldest restaurant, located in Tallahassee, Florida, is set to permanently close its doors after 56 years of operation. The seafood chain confirmed on Tuesday that the branch’s final day of business will be Sunday, May 24. The restaurant, situated on North Monroe Street, first opened in October 1970.
A Historic Location Bids Farewell
“This restaurant holds a special place in Red Lobster’s history and has been a meaningful part of the community for decades. We’re grateful to the guests and team members who have supported it over the years,” the company stated. As part of standard business practices, Red Lobster continuously evaluates restaurant performance and lease terms, occasionally choosing to close or relocate select locations. This decision reflects individual business circumstances specific to this site.
Part of a Broader Revival Strategy
The closure aligns with Red Lobster’s revival plan following its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing in May 2024. In February, CEO Damola Adamolekun told The Wall Street Journal that management had been reviewing leases and shutting down underperforming outlets to focus on stronger markets. During the 2024 bankruptcy process, the chain closed more than 100 restaurants across numerous states and laid off hundreds of workers.
Red Lobster emerged from bankruptcy in September 2024 after being acquired by RL Investor Holdings LLC, receiving approximately $70 million in fresh investment. Adamolekun, former CEO of P.F. Chang’s, took the helm and introduced new ideas for the menu and marketing. “There’s a lot of positive signs, but we inherited a very damaged brand, so there’s still work to do to repair all of that,” he told the WSJ.
Menu Overhauls and Customer Experience
Under Adamolekun’s leadership, Red Lobster has revamped its menu, launched a happy hour to attract more customers, and refreshed its marketing strategy. To enhance the in-restaurant experience, the company introduced a “red carpet hospitality” program, instructing hostesses to acknowledge guests from 10 feet away and engage with them when they are within four feet.
In April, the chain announced the return of its popular all-you-can-eat Endless Shrimp promotion for dine-in customers. Guests can choose from five shrimp dishes, including Shrimp Linguini Alfredo, Walt’s Favorite Shrimp, Garlic Shrimp Scampi, Parrot Isle Coconut Shrimp, and a new “Marry Me Shrimp” inspired by a viral online recipe, with tiered pricing from $24.99 to $29.99. Customers start with three dishes and can order up to two more at a time.
Listening to Customer Demand
“This is about putting our guests first and bringing back something they truly love,” Adamolekun said in a statement. “Endless Shrimp has been a part of Red Lobster’s legacy for 20 years and our guests have never stopped asking for it. We’re excited to bring it back, for a limited time, in a way that works for our business today and honors what made it special from the beginning. Because when our fans talk, we listen.” The promotion was extremely popular in 2023 but reportedly caused Red Lobster to lose about $11 million in just three months.



