Radio Caroline Apologises for Mistakenly Announcing King Charles's Death
Radio Caroline Sorry for False King Charles Death Announcement

A UK radio station has issued an apology after mistakenly announcing that King Charles has died. Radio Caroline, which broadcasts across the south of England and the Midlands, made the erroneous announcement and played God Save the King. One online listener reported that the usual broadcast abruptly stopped before the hosts stated that normal programming had been suspended, followed by a 15-minute silence. After the hosts apologised for the confusion, it emerged that the announcement was triggered by a “computer error”.

Station Manager Explains the Error

Station manager Peter Moore wrote on Facebook: "Due to a computer error at our main studio the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (19 May), mistakenly announcing that HRH the King had passed away." Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted staff to restore programming and issue an on-air apology.

Moore added: "Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen's, and now the King's, Christmas Message and we hope to do so for many years to come. We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Listeners React to the Mistake

One person commented: "It was a shock, but after telling my wife and neighbours I realised it was a mistake - and perhaps it was the relief, but then the laughter set in." While others referred to it as an “honest mistake”, another wrote: "I heard this while working in our garage. I dashed indoors shouting to the missus ‘He’s dead ! Charlie is bloody dead!’. She looked puzzled and said ‘Well he was just at the flower show yesterday’. After much perusal of news websites we concluded that perhaps I should lay off the sauce for a while."

King Charles in Northern Ireland

On Tuesday, King Charles and Queen Camilla arrived in Belfast on their first visit to Northern Ireland this year, having spent the previous day at the Royal Chelsea Flower Show. The first stop for the royal couple was an event at the Titanic Quarter of Belfast to celebrate the city hosting this year's Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, the world's largest festival of Irish music and dance. Their three-day visit has been subject to heightened security due to growing dissident republican activities in recent months. In 2024, it was announced that the 77-year-old monarch was undergoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer. His recovery is said to be going well and he has returned to a fuller diary of public engagements.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration