Oleksandr Usyk Takes Playful Swipe at Tyson Fury Over Retirement Vows
Usyk Takes Swipe at Fury Over Retirement Vows

Oleksandr Usyk has taken a playful swipe at longtime rival Tyson Fury after insisting that once he is done with boxing, he is done for good.

Usyk's Retirement Plan

The two-time undisputed champion returns to the ring on Saturday night against kickboxing legend Rico Verhoeven, set to take place in Egypt. Usyk has not fought since knocking out Daniel Dubois in front of over 90,000 fans at Wembley Stadium last July.

After turning 39 in January, many are wondering how many fights the Ukrainian has left in him. The unified heavyweight world champion recently mapped out his retirement, which will start this weekend. Usyk then envisioned a fight with the winner of Fabio Wardley's clash with Daniel Dubois, a fight which saw Dubois win earlier this month.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Usyk revealed a trilogy fight with Fury as the perfect send-off for him, but whether the final two aforementioned fights come to fruition is another matter. The Ukrainian has been given the green light to defend his titles in Egypt but will be ordered to defend his IBF strap 180 days after his WBC mandatory defence or 180 days after a WBA mandatory defence.

Usyk's Final Fights

Regardless of who his final two fights will be against, the 39-year-old insists that once he hangs up the gloves, he will not be returning. “Three fights [including Verhoeven] and finished,” Usyk said during an interview streamed by DAZN. “It’s not 100 percent, but when I say I’m retired, I won’t be back.”

In recent times, the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Fury and Vasiliy Lomachenko have all announced their respective comebacks. Usyk's rival Fury returned to the ring last month, outpointing Arslanbek Makhmudov at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. The 'Gypsy King' has since agreed to a monumental showdown with Anthony Joshua, which looks set to take place later this year.

Fury's return comes after he announced his retirement from boxing last January. The 37-year-old has made a habit of calling it a day on multiple occasions over the years but has failed to stick to his word. The former two-time heavyweight champion has long called for a third meeting with Usyk following their two historic encounters in 2024.

Usyk vs. Fury Trilogy?

The Ukrainian would go on to beat the Morecambe scrapper on both occasions over in Saudi Arabia. While the Brit has expressed interest in a trilogy fight, he would only accept an offer if the fight took place in England. However, it remains to be seen whether they trade leather yet again, with Fury's mind solely focused on a dust-up with Joshua.

For Usyk, though, while he has retirement in his sights, he remains solely dedicated to toppling Verhoeven on Saturday night. “It’s going to be different, but it’s going to be a great show,” Usyk said. “Of course, it’s a tough fight. It’s not an easy walk. It doesn’t matter who I am fighting, I am prepared 100 per cent. He’s a good challenge.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration