ISIS Brides and Children May Return to Australia Next Week
ISIS Brides and Children Could Return to Australia Next Week

A group of six women and 14 children linked to the Islamic State could be repatriated to Australia as early as next week, as authorities work to secure travel funds from their relatives. The group is currently held at Syria's Al Roj internment camp, and the Syrian government has stepped in to finalise flight arrangements for their departure.

Urgent Negotiations Underway

Sources quoted by The Australian confirm that urgent negotiations are in progress to extract the group. Approvals are being sought to release funds and complete bookings, as no family members, government officials, or helpers are on the ground in Syria. The group had been expected to return as early as next Tuesday, coinciding with Eid al-Adha, the Islamic holiday of sacrifice, though the timing depends on travel arrangements.

One Woman to Remain in Syria

One woman is expected to stay in Syria after being subject to an exclusion order imposed by the Albanese government. Her children will leave Al Roj with the rest of the group, according to the ABC. It remains unclear whether any of the returning women will face charges upon arrival.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Previous Repatriation and Arrests

This development comes weeks after four women and nine children landed in Australia. Three of those women were immediately taken into custody and charged with historic crimes against humanity-related offences. Among them was Janai Safar, who was arrested at Sydney Airport and charged with joining a terrorist organisation and travelling to a declared conflict zone. She remains at Silverwater Women's Correctional Centre.

Melbourne grandmother Kawsar Abbas, 53, and her younger daughter Zeinab, 31, were denied bail after facing multiple slavery charges. Kawsar's eldest daughter, Zahra Ahmad, 33, was the only one not arrested.

Reactions from the Camp

News of the arrests has reportedly caused anger within Al Roj camp, where the women have lived for seven years. Um Shamel, a German-born woman still at the camp, told the ABC that it was 'not good' that Australia had arrested the women, whom she called 'our sisters'. 'What do they want with women and kids?' she said. 'These little kids need [their] mama.' She believes the remaining Australian ISIS brides may delay or reconsider returning home after watching the arrests on television.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced the arrival of the previous group a fortnight ago. The Department of Home Affairs has been contacted for comment.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration