A group of Australians detained by Israel while attempting to deliver aid to Gaza are expected to be released and deported within the next 24 hours. The 11 Australians were among 400 participants in the Global Sumud Flotilla to Gaza before being intercepted by Israeli forces at gunpoint in international waters on Tuesday.
In a statement released on Thursday night, the Australian Delegation for Global Sumud Flotilla confirmed that the Australians were being transported by bus to Ramon Airport in Israel, where they were anticipated to board flights bound for Istanbul, Turkey.
Israeli Ambassador to Australia, Dr. Hillel Newman, assured reporters in Canberra on Thursday that no one was in harm's way and that the detainees were handled with sensitivity. The detention of the flotilla group sparked widespread outrage following a social media post by Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, which showed him gloating over flotilla participants as they were forced to their knees by guards. In the video, Ben-Gvir walks through a crowd of detainees kneeling with their heads on the floor, smiling and berating a man whose hands are zip-tied.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar condemned their colleague's actions, stating that the humiliation of the activists was not in line with Israel's values.
The news of the Australians' return was particularly welcomed by Chris O'Connor, who revealed on the ABC on Thursday night that his daughter, Neve O'Connor, 26, claimed she was previously beaten by Israeli soldiers. Ms. O'Connor, from Melbourne, was part of a separate flotilla intercepted near the Greek island of Crete on April 29. She alleged that during that interception, she was viciously beaten by a member of the Israeli Defence Force.
"She said she was kneed in the face, she was punched in the ribs, she was dragged across the outdoor area," Mr. O'Connor told ABC's 7.30 program. "The psychological torture was being in a stress position for many hours. They were sprayed with water and were subject to hypothermic conditions overnight, because it was very cold in the containers."
Ms. O'Connor was hospitalised in Crete following the interception but decided to join the latest flotilla headed for Gaza on Tuesday. She has not spoken to relatives since boarding.
Dr. Newman, also interviewed on 7.30, denied that the Australians or any other captives had been subjected to violence. "Every time there's a flotilla, there are false narratives and false accusations against the security forces of Israel," Newman said. He argued that the flotilla itself was a provocation and that aid could be delivered through other legitimate means. He also noted that the blockade on Gaza was backed by the UN and prevented the smuggling of weapons into the region.
Mr. O'Connor flatly rejected Newman's denial of violence inflicted by the IDF. "If you see the photos, there were plenty of photos of people with bruises," Mr. O'Connor said. "There were plenty of photos of people who had fractured ribs, plenty of video testimony. So no, I absolutely reject that it's just a lie."
Jacinta McEwen, whose son Surya McEwen took part in the aid effort, expressed relief at the release but also anger. "But we are so angry that the reason our kids sailed in the first place is because of the failure of Foreign Minister Penny Wong and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to show a spine as they watched children be murdered and starved to death," she said. "We demand the government step up and do their jobs so the next lot of kids don't have to sail again in six months' time."
Mr. McEwen has previously been detained by Israeli forces after taking part in other flotilla attempts. His mother said he had his head slammed against a steel wall, a dislocated shoulder, a broken collarbone, and broken ribs from being kicked in the chest.
Palestinian-Australian Global Sumud Flotilla spokesperson Subhi Awad commented that Minister Ben-Gvir showed the world how Israel treats unarmed civilians aiming to deliver food. "Imagine what they do to Palestinians every day off camera," he said.
Adalah Lawyers, a legal team acting for Arab minority rights in Israel, have received complaints from flotilla activists about the use of tasers and rubber bullets, sexual harassment, and degradation.
Foreign Minister Penny Wong called for the release of the Australians after condemning the video posted by Mr. Ben-Gvir. "The images we have seen posted by Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir - who Australia has sanctioned - are shocking and unacceptable," Senator Wong said on X. "We condemn his actions and the degrading actions of Israeli authorities towards those detained."
Senator Wong directed the Department of Foreign Affairs to call in Dr. Newman to reinforce her message. He met departmental officials in Canberra on Thursday.
The Executive Council of Australian Jewry slammed Mr. Ben-Gvir for his "disgraceful" treatment of the activists. "Nothing can excuse the appalling behaviour displayed by minister Ben-Gvir against a group of people who were being held in custody in Israel," president Daniel Aghion said.



