Congo World Cup Team Told to Isolate for 21 Days Over Ebola Fears
Congo Team Told to Isolate 21 Days Over Ebola

The Democratic Republic of Congo's national soccer team has been instructed to undergo a 21-day isolation period or face potential denial of entry into the United States for this summer's World Cup, amid an ongoing Ebola virus outbreak in the country.

White House Official Confirms Stance

Andrew Giuliani, the executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, disclosed to ESPN on Friday that the United States has communicated to FIFA, the Congolese national team, and its government that all squad members and coaching staff must maintain a strict quarantine bubble while in Belgium. The team is currently training there ahead of two preparatory matches.

Ebola Outbreak Forces Cancellation

Congo was recently compelled to cancel a pre-World Cup training camp in its capital, Kinshasa, just weeks before the team is scheduled to travel to the United States. This decision was made due to the Ebola outbreak, which has emerged in the eastern region of the African nation. Reports indicate 600 suspected cases and 139 deaths in DR Congo have been recorded so far.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Giuliani emphasized the seriousness of the situation, stating: 'We've been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11th. We've made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.'

Further updates are anticipated as the situation develops.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration