A crew member from the ill-fated MV Hondius cruise ship, which was struck by a deadly hantavirus outbreak, has been hospitalised after testing positive for the virus. The individual was repatriated from Tenerife, Spain, where passengers and staff had disembarked following the incident, and has since been in quarantine in the Netherlands.
Dutch health authorities confirmed the new case, which involves the Andean virus strain—the only form of hantavirus known to spread from human to human. The World Health Organisation (WHO) reported that the crew member had been in quarantine since leaving the vessel before testing positive.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated: "The Netherlands today confirmed a new case in a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been in quarantine ever since."
Dutch public health officials said the patient was admitted to hospital "as a precaution" and placed in isolation. The Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) added: "The Andean virus was detected in a person who was in quarantine in the Netherlands. The patient has since been admitted to the hospital as a precaution and is in isolation."
The latest development brings the total number of suspected and confirmed cases linked to the outbreak to 12, including three deaths. Mr Ghebreyesus noted that no further deaths have been reported since May 2, when the WHO was first notified. More than 600 contacts across multiple countries are still being monitored, with health officials continuing to trace a small number of high-risk cases.
Survivor's Story Highlights Long-Term Effects
The news comes as a survivor of hantavirus shared her harrowing experience. Jennifer Benewiat, 43, from Kansas, contracted the illness in December 2010 and spent 10 days on a ventilator, paralysed from the neck down. She had to relearn basic tasks like walking and showering.
Benewiat told the Daily Mail she still suffers from muscle weakness, numbness, and tingling in her extremities. "I just can't do them as quickly as I used to," she said, referring to daily activities like housework. The virus has a 40 percent fatality rate, and Benewiat admitted she had a trauma response upon hearing about the MV Hondius outbreak.
Ongoing Monitoring and Precautions
Health authorities continue to monitor individuals who may have been exposed. The RIVM emphasised that the patient's hospitalisation was a precautionary measure. The outbreak has put health systems on alert, with America monitoring potential symptoms among travellers.
The MV Hondius, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, was docked in the Netherlands after the outbreak. The ship had been on a voyage when the virus spread, leading to a coordinated international response.



