The Prince and Princess of Wales have been spotted at Balmoral today after joining the King and other royals for their annual holiday. Prince William and Kate were seen in a car just outside the estate in Aberdeenshire, hours after the news that Prince Harry and Meghan are to return to the UK later this month. It is likely that news of the Sussexes’ return with their children, who have been enrolled in British schools, will come up between members of the Firm.
Royals Gather at Scottish Residence
William and Kate join a host of royals who have been spotted today, including Princess Anne, Mike and Zara Tindall, and Prince Edward and his son James, who are all staying with the King at his Scottish residence.
The royals’ Balmoral holiday comes as the Mirror revealed that friends of the Prince and Princess of Wales say the couple "cannot forgive" the Sussexes for their hurtful accusations against the Firm, and are determined to "look forward to the future". Charles and William were told at the same time on Sunday of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s plan to permanently relocate to Britain within weeks.
United Front on Sussex Role
Royal sources have told how William is "completely united" with the King in not allowing Harry and Meghan to achieve a 'half in, half out' role within the monarchy, after spending years railing against the institution. Sources close to the King and the Prince of Wales have confirmed the monarch and his heir are "in complete lockstep" in terms of not allowing Harry and Meghan to have a "half in, half out" role within the royal family.
Despite the "considerable noise" and "suspicions" over the Sussexes' return, those close to the Prince and Princess of Wales maintain the couple remain focused on their own lives. While the King’s position on his estranged son has softened considerably in recent years, making time to see Harry on three separate occasions when he has visited the UK as well as sources suggesting he is "delighted" at the prospect of seeing his grandchildren more regularly, the Prince and Princess of Wales have not entertained the duke or his wife.
Security and Financial Questions
William has not spoken in person to his brother since the late Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral in September 2022. The brothers are understood to have not been in contact either on the phone or text message for at least two and a half years.
Meanwhile, questions have been raised over the Sussexes’ finances as decisions about whether taxpayers will foot the bill for their security remain unanswered, but the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base. Prime Minister Andy Burnham would not be drawn on Harry and Meghan’s security arrangements in the UK, saying the funding for it was a "private matter".
After his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020, the duke has faced a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over security for him and his family while they are in the UK. At the end of June, Harry was still waiting for a review by the Risk Management Board, part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on his security requirements – and he and his security detail were working to try to ensure his July visit could go ahead safely.
Meghan's Possible Return to Acting
Individual decisions on protective security for key public figures, including members of the royal family, are made by Ravec – which includes the Home Office, Metropolitan Police and Royal Household – which advises an independent chairperson. The Mirror revealed that Harry told the security services about his impending return to the UK before he told the King. The royal informed mandarins about the shock move earlier this month in order for them to prepare security measures. His father only found out on Sunday.
Meanwhile, it has emerged that Meghan could make a return to acting once she and her family have moved back to the UK. First reported by Australian news website News.com.au, the duchess is said to have been offered a role in an upcoming project based in the UK, though no further details have been confirmed. The former Suits star quit acting when she and Harry got married in 2018 but has still been on screens in her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan. She made her name when she played Rachel Zane, a paralegal, in the US drama for seven series.



