King Charles has been blindsided by Prince Harry and Meghan's bombshell plans to move back to the UK, with royal sources revealing he was only told about them three days ago.
The Sussexes are returning to the UK later this month, making their home in a non-royal residence outside of London, and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools. It is understood Harry and Meghan's plans would have been months in the making, however the King, who has had a rocky relationship with his younger son, was only made aware of the move on Sunday.
He was not told about it when he met Harry, Meghan and their children at Highgrove on their trip to the UK last month, with the move coming just a year after the Duke of Sussex said his security in the UK made it 'impossible' for his family to visit.
Royal Family Blindsided
A royal source said: "The King and the entire royal family have undoubtedly been blindsided by the announcement from Harry and Meghan that they are returning to the UK."
"After saying that he could not see a situation safe enough to bring his wife and children to the UK just over a year ago, the fact Prince Harry is now fully prepared to not only visit but live in the country he left behind is extraordinary."
"While the King will be delighted at the prospect at seeing his grandchildren on a more regular basis, there will be concerns over the true motivation for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's decision to leave the United States after everything that has occurred since they decided to leave their royal roles."
"It is without question that the hybrid roles Harry and Meghan wanted before choosing to leave their royal roles behind will not be offered, which poses more questions as to what public role they will seek to carve out in the UK."
Security Concerns and Family Dynamics
The Sussexes' decision also raises the question of how the news will be met by the Prince and Princess of Wales. William – a future king – is estranged from his brother after Harry levelled a barrage of accusations against the prince, Kate, the King and Queen Camilla in the years since the Megxit crisis of 2020.
Harry and Meghan's status as non-working members of the Royal Family will remain the same, with the couple not being offered a "half-in-half-out" option when it comes to their roles. They are expected to remain financially independent and continue their commercial and charitable work, while Harry is not expected to undertake official royal duties. They are retaining their home in Montecito, California as well as their holiday home in Portugal.
The news also comes weeks after the family visited the UK together for the first time in four years last month, where as well as meeting the King, they stayed with Harry's uncle Earl Spencer at Althorp, where Harry's late mother Princess Diana is buried.
However, the decision is particularly striking given Harry's previous concerns about bringing his family back to Britain as he does not automatically get taxpayer-funded security while in the UK. The Duke has spent years challenging the decision in the courts over his security arrangements after losing the protection when he ceased to be a working royal and moved overseas.
Just last year, Harry even told the BBC in an interview that without such security, he "can't see a world in which I would be bringing my wife and children back to the UK at this point".
Security Costs and Future Plans
His return could therefore reignite questions over what security arrangements will be put in place for the Sussexes and who would pay for them. Despite making millions since leaving his role as a working royal in 2020, and arranging his own private security team, Harry has claimed he remains a target for terrorists in the UK and needs protection from the Metropolitan Police when he returns.
The Home Office has always maintained that Harry's security is considered on a case-by-case basis if he informs the department of his travel plans at least 28 days in advance. Dai Davies, former the head of Scotland Yard's Royal Protection Command, said the bill to secure Sussexes' new home would prove costly.
He told Sky News: "If they go somewhere new, that place would have to be reconnoitred, it would have to have technical support, a whole manner of things, including potentially a safe room."
"It's hugely expensive, and would take time. So it's very interesting where they're going to go, and that raises a number of questions in my mind - how long have they been preparing for this? Who has been helping them and so on, so forth?"
Earlier this month, the Mirror revealed how Harry is now so determined to reconcile with his family and that he won't do anything to jeopardise it, as he places far greater importance on repairing family ties than at any point since he and his wife Meghan stepped back as working royals in 2020.
Meanwhile, the decision is also a huge appears to be a huge U-turn for Meghan, who has only visited the UK once since the late Queen's funeral in 2022 and on her recent trip here, did not appear in public. In an interview with The Cut in 2022, Meghan talked about her fears of sending her children to school in the UK claiming paparazzi would swarm her at the school gates.
She said: "Sorry, I have a problem with that. That doesn't make me obsessed with privacy. That makes me a strong and good parent protecting my child."
And according the royal expert Jennie Bond, it appears the Duchess is "taking one for the team" by moving back to the UK with her family. The former royal correspondent, who covered the royal family for 14 years with the BBC, told Sky News: "I think we should beware a pile-on on Meghan in particular, and I can see that already happening."
"This is the decision they've made probably for the sake of their children, as much as for Harry. Perhaps Meghan is taking one for the team here, because I'm not sure this is her life's desire to live back in the UK."



