Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams said Prince Harry and Meghan Markle "failed to make it in the United States" as reports emerged of their imminent return to the UK. Appearing on GB News on Wednesday, Fitzwilliams told Patrick Christys that the couple had not succeeded in Hollywood.
Fitzwilliams criticises the couple's US plans
Reflecting on what he called an "extraordinary development," Fitzwilliams noted that there is no word on whether the couple had reached an "agreement" of reconciliation with the royal family. "As I see it, we've got to wait and see how this unfolds. But, very clearly, the first thought I had is that they failed to make it in the United States," he said.
Fitzwilliams added: "We knew Meghan's [brand] As Ever, there was a question mark about how well she was doing there. Presumably, that will, for example, continue. Harry lost Sentebale in the lawsuit, linked to that. The Invictus Games, now will the King, either by video or in person, open it next year in Birmingham?" He reiterated: "Essentially, they failed to be A-listers in Hollywood. That was, as I understood it, the plan because they were so unhappy as senior working royals."
Popularity and public reception
Fitzwilliams commented on the couple's popularity, saying: "Precisely what, if any, royal duties they will be doing - you mentioned their popularity, and Harry is not popular - but I think he's got over 30% in the polls now, and Meghan has somewhere around 20%. That's pretty grim. They've got a hostile press, they've got a public that is unsympathetic, and also there is, unquestionably, Prince William, who I cannot see welcoming this."
Details of the return
Reports of Meghan and Harry's imminent return to the UK emerged on Wednesday evening (19 August). It is understood that the Sussexes will continue to be classed as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family. Reports have also stated that King Charles was made aware of Harry and Meghan's decision to move on Sunday. As for Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, the children will be enrolled in British schools starting in September, via The Telegraph.
Harry and Meghan's move to the UK comes six years after they relocated to Montecito, California. Last month, the Sussexes made a brief return to Britain to mark the one-year countdown to the 2027 Invictus Games. Pointing to a potential reconciliation with the royal family, the duo made headlines during their trip by visiting Highgrove to meet with King Charles and Queen Camilla.
Following the announcement, the Home Office said: "The UK Government's protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our longstanding policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals' security."



