Rylan Clark Says No Regrets Over Divorce: 'I Never Think About Him'
Rylan Clark: No Regrets Over Divorce, 'I Never Think About Him'

Rylan Clark has stated that he harbours no regrets regarding his divorce from Dan Neal, his husband of six years, and confessed that he rarely thinks about his former spouse. The television personality, aged 37, parted ways with Neal in 2021, finalising their divorce later that same year. The couple had married in 2015 after a two-year courtship.

Reflections on the Marriage Breakdown

In his 2022 memoir, Ten: The Decade That Changed My Future, Clark, previously known for hosting It Takes Two, disclosed that infidelity on his part contributed to the dissolution of their union. Speaking candidly on ITV's The Assembly, a programme where celebrities are interviewed by a collective of autistic, neurodivergent, and learning-disabled journalists, Clark was asked whether honesty is always the best policy in relationships.

He responded: 'Oh wow. Yeah I think it is. I’m OK admitting when I’m in the wrong, because actually I don’t deal well with guilt, and I don’t deal well with secrets. It made me so ill, and it sounds a terrible thing to say, but I’m glad it happened.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Moving On and Missing the Ideal

Clark elaborated: 'I never think about him [Neal]. I miss feeling like I’ve got it all. I thought I had life done. I’ve got the job, I’ve got the family, I’ve got the marriage, I’ve got the car, I’ve got the house. I thought I had it sussed. I didn’t have anything sussed. I didn’t know what was a real relationship.'

Despite the fallout, he insisted: 'I can look back now and know that I don’t regret anything.'

Health Struggles After the Split

Clark has previously been open about the severe health issues that followed the divorce, describing how his body 'completely shut down', leading to two heart failures. He recounted: 'I wouldn’t eat. I went through a stage where I couldn’t even talk, which for some people might be quite handy. My speech was just slurred. My mum thought I was having a stroke. My body just went. I went down to nine stone and I am six-foot-four.'

When asked on The Assembly how he coped, Clark admitted: 'Not well. When my marriage ended, you know that term when someone says to pull the rug from under you. Yeah, that’s the only way I can describe it. It’s like someone went like that and I just fell over and I couldn’t get back up, like I broke both my arms and legs.'

He also revealed that he moved back in with his mother to escape the 'memories' in the home he shared with Neal.

Upcoming TV Appearance and Strictly Disappointment

Clark's episode of The Assembly is scheduled to air on ITV1 and ITVX at 10pm on Sunday, 24 May. More recently, he expressed disappointment after Strictly Come Dancing announced its new presenting line-up for the 2026 season, which did not include him. Former professional dancer Johannes Radebe, comedian Josh Widdicombe, and presenter Emma Willis will take over from Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly.

Clark took the news in stride, sharing a humorous video of himself crying on Instagram, taken from his 2012 appearance on The X Factor. He wrote: 'Just wanted to say as it was reported I was in the race for strictly, the biggest congrats to my Emma and equal congrats to Johannes and Josh. You’re all going to have the best time. Made up for yous. This wasn’t my time sadly but am extremely grateful to even have been considered. I’m taking the news really well (see next slide) but genuinely looking forward to the new series with you three.'

Strictly Come Dancing will return to BBC in autumn 2026, with the launch show traditionally airing in mid-to-late September.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration