Meghan Markle 'could make lucrative return to acting' after UK move
Meghan Markle could make lucrative return to acting after UK move

The Duchess of Sussex could return to acting when she comes back to Britain with Prince Harry and their children, according to reports.

Meghan is reported to have been offered a role in a new UK-based entertainment project and that is said to be one of the reasons why Harry and her decided to quit the US.

“Harry and Meghan's team has not denied the story, but aren't giving any details at this stage of what Meghan's new role is,” said the BBC’s Senior Royal Correspondent Daniela Relph.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Meghan's acting background

Meghan’s most famous acting role was as paralegal Rachel Zane, who becomes a lawyer, in hit US legal drama Suits. But she effectively put her acting career on hold when she married Prince Harry in 2018.

Recently, Meghan took on a cameo role, playing herself in the upcoming comedy Close Personal Friends. It also stars Lily Collins and Brie Larson.

The possibility of Meghan reviving her acting career more significantly was first reported in Australian media outlet news.com.au. “A return to acting could be lucrative for Meghan,” explained Ms Relph. “There will be huge interest in whatever she does in this space, as the Sussex's UK return continues to grab attention.”

Return to the UK

The BBC said on their return, Meghan also hopes to expand her US-based lifestyle and cooking brand, As Ever.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will return to live in the UK later this month more than six years after they relocated to the US. The couple will return to the UK later this month, making their home in a non-royal residence outside of London – and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.

Harry previously lost a legal case against the Government over the provision of police protection and warned he could not return to the UK with his family because of security concerns. So, questions remain over his security arrangements.

Royal family reaction

It is understood there will be no change to Harry and Meghan’s role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.

The King, who is still living with cancer, was first made aware of the move on Sunday, only three days before it was made public, but is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family both in a private and personal capacity. However, it is expected that the Royal Family’s future will remain his priority.

The Sussexes’ decision raises the question of how the news will be met by the Prince and Princess of Wales. William, the future king, is estranged from his brother after Harry levelled a barrage of accusations against the prince, Kate, the King and Queen Camilla in the years since the Megxit crisis of 2020. A YouGov poll found last month that only 22% of Britons see Meghan in a positive light, compared with 65% who hold an unfavourable opinion of the former actress, with 33% seeing Harry positively and 58% negatively.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration