Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's UK Return Sparks Fan Reactions
Harry and Meghan UK Return Sparks Fan Reactions

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's latest bombshell decision to move back to the UK, six years after they left it for a new life in America, has left the majority of royal fans reeling. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will return to the UK later this month – making their home in a non-royal residence outside of London – and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.

It is understood there will be no change to Harry and Meghan's role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the Royal Family. The King, who is still living with cancer, was first made aware of the move on Sunday, only three days before it was made public, but is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family both in a private and personal capacity. But their status will remain the same, with the couple not offered a "half-in-half-out" option regarding their roles.

Fans React to the Sussexes' Return

The Sussexes' decision raises the question of how the news will be met by the Prince and Princess of Wales. Kensington Palace has not made any comments on the latest developments. However, royal fans were quick to comment on the Sussexes' decision, with the majority saying their Hollywood dreams "failed" as the reason for their return.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

One user wrote on X: "The return of Harry and Meghan to the UK makes one thing clear, their Hollywood experiment has been an absolute, abysmal failure with diminishing returns every year. Also, this will be a nightmare for William and Catherine. An absolute nightmare, worst-case scenario."

Another one agreed: "There are so many questions. After 6 years of complaining about security, and finally losing his absolute last appeal for it, why now can they not only visit but live in the UK? How long will it be before there are complaints about the family not welcoming them back with open arms like Charles?"

Further Criticism and Public Opinion

A third one commented: "It's great for us, but terrible for the UK. Harry and Meghan bring chaos wherever they go." A fourth one said: "I don't think they understand the absolute dislike people here have for them. It's going to be eye-opening."

A fifth user added: "I feel bad for the Waleses - especially C. Cannot imagine how much energy and life H&M will suck out of the BRF just for headlines." A sixth user blasted: "I cannot believe they are going back!! After all the c*** they said, they will be welcomed back?????"

The move is also likely to spark debate about how the British public will react to the U-turn, given the criticism the Sussexes have levelled at the Royal Family and the institution of the monarchy. A YouGov poll found last month that only 22% of Britons see Meghan in a positive light, compared with 65% who hold an unfavourable opinion of the former actress, with 33% seeing Harry positively and 58% negatively.

Details of the Move

The Telegraph and Sun – which both broke the story on Wednesday night – reported that Archie, seven, and Lili, five, will start at their new schools in September. The Sussexes will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration