Organisers of All Points East have implemented measures to avoid a repeat of last year's 'well-reported dust issues' at Victoria Park, as the festival prepares to begin amid a record-setting drought.
Festival Prepares for Drought Conditions
The festival, one of the highlights of London's festival calendar, kicks off on Friday, August 21, featuring two shows from Tyler, the Creator and others from Lorde and Jorja Smith over the next two weekends. Last year's event saw high levels of dust at Victoria Park, with fans sharing footage of them covering their mouths and advising attendees with respiratory issues to wear masks.
Jim King, CEO of events giant AEG which runs the festival, told the Times that last year's 'well-reported dust issues' informed the group's planning. He said: "Immediately after the show, we worked with the London Borough of Tower Hamlets to get back into the park [and begin] an extensive amount of reseeding." He added that the reseeding had made the park "as strong as it could be" ahead of the festival dates.
Extra Ground Protection and Weather Outlook
This year, teams have brought in extra ground protection, including plastic coverings in high-footfall areas, to prevent creating the same hazy atmosphere. London received its first 'heavy rain' in weeks on Tuesday, with BBC weather predicting further showers on Wednesday and Thursday.
AEG also runs British Summer Time in Hyde Park and LIDO Festival, which was due to take place in Victoria Park in June. However, following the extremely wet winter, AEG was advised the park would benefit from more time to recover, so the three-day festival was changed to a one-day affair, now scheduled for August 31.
Economic Impact and Community Opposition
Mr King described the drought conditions as "challenging" but said: "We've now gone from planning into execution, with further resource and mitigation plans to ensure that the park is as protected as it can be." He told the Times that LIDO and All Points East delivered about £70 million in total spending across London, including £6 million in Tower Hamlets.
Nevertheless, a petition was started last year by a group calling itself Protect Victoria Park, which claimed the 'commercialisation [of the park] has gone too far'. The group said: "Locals will not stand for this beloved green space being turned into a cash cow, then summers for years to come will be marred by massive fences, with locals being penned in to other areas that are increasingly busy."
Festivals across London's parks are meeting increasing opposition, with a legal battle over gigs in Brockwell Park going to the High Court in May. Resident Juliet Chambers wanted to challenge Lambeth Council over its decision to use parts of the park for events, but Mr Justice Jay dismissed the bid, saying recreation was a "pastime which is pursued for the pleasure or interest it provides... It is clear in my view that this musical festival is a cultural activity."



