Saja El-Khawas, six, died on Friday, three days after her father Hassan, 55, her mother Zeina, 37, and her sister Sara, 14, drowned after entering the water at Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, shortly before 3pm. All four were pulled from the water by emergency crews before Saja was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.
Community heartbreak
Tom Rutland, Labour MP for East Worthing and Shoreham, told the Mirror: "The whole community here is heartbroken by the death of Saja. We had been hoping and praying for her recovery after she was taken to hospital on Tuesday. My thoughts are with her family and friends at this incredibly sad time."
The family, who lived in a two-bed flat in Harlesden, northwest London, arrived at the beach on a day trip less than an hour before tragedy struck. Their two other young children were on the shore at the time and are now being cared for by a relative.
Family background
Mr El-Khawas, a Palestinian refugee who worked as a builder, moved to the UK for a better life after living in the Rashidieh Camp in Lebanon. He, his partner, and his two daughters all died after getting into difficulty near Shoreham Fort amid rough conditions due to strong winds.
It was the latest drowning tragedy after at least 50 people died in open water since the first spell of hot weather in mid-May. The Mirror's Save Lives for Sam campaign, inspired by 2021 drowning victim Sam Haycock, aged 16, demands a Sam's Law to make safety equipment near high-risk areas legally mandatory.
Police response
Chief Superintendent James Collis said: "This heartbreaking update is one we all feared in the aftermath of Tuesday’s tragic events. I cannot imagine the devastation felt by the wider family of Hassan, Zeina, Sara and Saja after this loss. On behalf of everyone at Sussex Police, I extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences."
He added: "The impact of this tragedy has been felt across the country, and I know the Shoreham community, emergency responders and all involved will continue to be affected for a long time to come. I would like to thank all of the public who have shared their sympathies and kind words, and once again ask for the victims’ family and loved ones to be left to grieve in privacy."
A police spokesman added: "The investigation into the incident remains open, but following review of CCTV footage and initial witness accounts, the current hypothesis is that this was a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement. Our enquiries will continue and a file will be prepared for HM Coroner ahead of an inquest."



