Man jailed for raping woman in Bournemouth seafront toilet
Man jailed for raping woman in Bournemouth seafront toilet

A 19-year-old man has been jailed for raping a 19-year-old woman in a portable toilet on Bournemouth seafront, an attack she desperately fought to escape.

Mohammed Abdullah, 19, who was living in the West Drayton area in Middlesex, received a sentence of six years and nine months after a jury at Bournemouth Crown Court found him guilty of rape and sexual assault. The attack took place in the early hours of July 6, 2025. In addition to the prison term, Abdullah, who is from Syria, will be placed on the sex offenders register for life.

Details of the attack

Mark Eldridge, prosecuting, told the trial that the complainant had been out with a friend that night, first in Charminster and then moving on to Bar So in Bournemouth, Dorset. After having had a "fair amount to drink", she and her friend headed off in different directions, and the complainant began walking home along the seafront, where she came across the defendant, who was with friends and offered to give her a lift home on his e-bike.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

They then stopped at a portable toilet, where Abdullah sexually assaulted her before raping her. Mr Eldridge said: "She was wriggling and trying to fight and then thought if she let it happen it would be quicker." He added: "The defendant kissed her aggressively and she pulled away but somehow got a burst lip."

Aftermath and court response

Following the attack, the defendant rode off, and the complainant "took her shoes off in order to run". She then sought help from passers-by, asking to use their phones to call her mother, who she told she had been raped. Mr Eldridge said one man who helped her described her as "appearing distressed".

Abdullah arrived in the UK from Syria in 2023 and was given permanent leave to remain under a family reunion scheme. He previously told the court that the sex was "consensual" and that the complainant had wanted to hug and kiss him.

Detective Inspector Shaun Inkpen, of Dorset Police's Major Crime Investigation Team, said: "Firstly I would like to acknowledge the bravery of the young woman in coming forward and reporting such a horrific and terrifying sexual attack."

"Throughout our investigation and the subsequent criminal justice process she has shown immense strength, courage and resilience. This young woman’s evidence played a crucial role in securing Abdullah’s conviction and subsequent custodial sentence."

Samantha Wright, senior crown prosecutor at the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said: "Mohammed Abdullah exploited a young woman who was vulnerable and simply trying to get home safely."

"Having gained her trust by offering her a lift, he subjected her to a terrifying sexual attack. The victim’s bravery in reporting what happened and supporting this prosecution has ensured a dangerous offender has been held accountable for his actions. Violence against women and girls has no place in our communities. The CPS will continue to work tirelessly to bring perpetrators of these abhorrent offences to justice."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration