M9 crash: Five teenage victims named after fatal collision
M9 crash: Five teenage victims named after fatal collision

The five teenage boys who died in a devastating M9 crash have been identified. The victims are Jeremy O’Brien, 18, from Carlow; Alex McCarthy, 17, from Carlow; Joey Carthy, 15, from Athy, Kildare; Jack Kennedy, 17, also from Athy; and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick.

The crash occurred in the early hours of Sunday when the high-powered BMW they were travelling in drove the wrong way along the M9, colliding with a family en route to Dublin Airport. Gardaí have informed the families of all five teenagers, with a liaison officer assigned to each household.

Crash details and victims

The BMW is believed to have been travelling in excess of 120km/h when it struck the Hyundai near Junction 3 of the M9 in Co Kildare at approximately 3am on Sunday. The occupants of the Hyundai – three women and a young child – were all members of the same extended family from Carlow. While fortunate to have survived the collision, all sustained serious injuries.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The seven-year-old boy is currently receiving treatment at Crumlin Children's Hospital. The female driver and front seat passenger remain critically ill at Tallaght University Hospital in south Dublin, while the woman seated in the rear beside the child is in a serious condition at St Luke's General Hospital in Kilkenny.

Investigation and response

Gardaí in Athy are pressing ahead with their inquiry into the collision, with the M9 having fully reopened to traffic on Monday morning. It is anticipated that several days will pass before post-mortems are completed and the teenagers' remains can be returned to their loved ones.

Earlier, the Garda Representative Association (GRA) said its members were "all in shock" after the "horrific incident". GRA vice-president John Joe O'Connell revealed that the BMW had previously failed to stop for Gardaí, and that it was his understanding that an instruction had been issued not to engage with the vehicle as it travelled the wrong way along the M9.

Social media concerns

Mr O'Connell said there were "numerous gangs" of boys and young men "trying to outdo each other" in social media videos depicting interactions with Gardaí, pursuits and wrong-way driving. "Our members are not going to follow down that route – we're damned if you do and damned if you don't, that way," he said.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin said he was "shocked and saddened" by the tragedy, which he characterised as the consequence of "an irresponsible and dangerous act". Mr Martin suggested that such incidents are, in certain instances, "being done for likes on social media". He stated: "This is the second appalling crash we've seen on our roads in a matter of days as a result of the reckless driving of a car on the wrong side of the motorway, endangering the lives of innocent road users."

Anyone with information is urged to contact Athy Garda Station on 01 666 6000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration