Cole Turley and Jay Stewart, both 18, were sentenced to a minimum of 16 years in prison for stabbing 16-year-old Kayden Moy to death at Irvine beach last May. A third offender, aged 15, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was also jailed following a trial at the High Court in Glasgow last month.
Father Demands Accountability
Kayden's father, Paul Moy, has now demanded "accountability, transparency and answers" from South Lanarkshire Council after it emerged that two of the young males were under social work supervision at the time of the murder.
He said: "I am calling on South Lanarkshire Council and Social Work to answer serious questions about the circumstances surrounding the tragic murder of my son, Kayden. All three boys who have now been convicted of Kayden’s murder were, as I understand it, under social work supervision at the time."
"Yet they were still able to remain in the community while continuing to offend and, according to the circumstances surrounding this case, carry knives. Why were they allowed to continue walking the streets?"
"What assessments were carried out? What warnings were received about their behaviour? What interventions were put in place? And most importantly, why were they not removed from the community if professionals believed they posed a risk to others?"
Missed Opportunities
Paul Moy said: "My son should still be alive. As a family, we are left having to live with the devastating consequences of what happened to Kayden. We deserve answers about whether opportunities were missed to protect him and others."
"I am not asking for excuses. I am demanding accountability, transparency and answers. If social work had concerns about these boys, why were stronger measures not taken? And if they did not have concerns, why not?"
"Kayden’s life mattered. His family matters. And other families deserve to know that young people who present a serious risk are being properly managed and that every possible step is being taken to prevent another tragedy."
"South Lanarkshire Council and the relevant social work services need to answer these questions. We will not simply be expected to accept what happened and stay silent."
Killers' Criminal Histories
Turley had over 50 convictions and was well known to authorities prior to Kayden's death. Stewart had also been given a community payback order for carrying a machete just four days before Kayden was killed.
Paul continued: "If they had done their jobs properly, this could have been prevented."
Earlier this month, it was revealed that the pair are appealing their life sentences. Stewart reportedly lodged an appeal against the term in July, while Kayden's family were informed by email of Turley's appeal on Tuesday, August 4.
Paul said: "It's hard to put into words how devastated and exhausted we feel. Just when we try to find some way to carry on, we're dragged straight back into the nightmare. There never seems to be any peace or chance to heal."
"We will never understand how someone who took our son's life can now ask for another chance. Sixteen years never felt like justice to us in the first place, and now we're faced with the possibility of having to relive everything all over again."
"Our son was robbed of his future, and we were robbed of a lifetime with him. That sentence can never compare to the life that was taken or the pain our family lives with every single day."
Details of the Attack
The trio, members of the Murray Boys gang from East Kilbride, travelled to the seaside town after discovering through social media that Kayden and his friends, who were linked to the rival Himshie group, were gathering there. The teenagers arrived armed with weapons. Turley carried a large lockback knife, while Stewart had a police-style extendable baton.
Kayden, who was unarmed, confronted the group before being pursued, causing him to fall to the ground. Turley stabbed him twice while Stewart brandished the baton and shouted "Murray Boys" before telling a witness: "He f*ing deserved it." CCTV footage captured the three teenagers fleeing the beach moments after the attack.
A spokesperson for South Lanarkshire Council said: "This has been a tragic event, and our profound sympathies continue to go out to Kayden’s loved ones."



