Huyton family repeatedly targeted by yobs who vandalised car and set bin on fire
Huyton family repeatedly targeted by yobs who vandalised car

A Huyton family have faced a series of targeted attacks by vandals who have smashed their windows, damaged their car, and set their wheelie bin on fire. Dad-of-four Imran Khan says his children are terrified to leave the house due to the gangs of violent youths gathering outside.

Attacks began in June 2024

The series of attacks began in June 2024, when a hooded man was caught on CCTV running up to the family's home on Pennard Avenue and hurling an object which shattered their front window. Several days later, Imran said he went outside to discover his car had also been vandalised. Further CCTV taken on October 30 appeared to show three youths dressed in black throwing objects at the family's home before running away.

Since then, the family's home and car have been targeted on multiple occasions. Imran said: "My car’s side mirrors were broken, my bins were deliberately set on fire, and other incidents were recorded. I provided evidence to the police, and I understand that the police identified the youths involved."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Children scared to play outside

Imran added: "What is particularly frustrating is that the police even reassured me and promised that these youths would not walk past my house anymore. Despite that promise, they have continued to walk around my home. The situation has now affected my children. They are scared to play outside because they are frightened of encountering the same youths. As a parent, it is extremely upsetting to see your children afraid to enjoy their own garden and neighbourhood."

He said: "Some of the incidents were recorded, and some happened in the presence of the youths' parents. Despite the evidence and the identification of those involved, I still do not understand why no meaningful action has been taken."

CCTV footage shows youths targeting family

A series of CCTV videos shared with the ECHO show the family's house and car being targeted on several occasions by groups of youths on bicycles. In some of the videos the youths can be seen terrorising the family directly, surrounding their car and taunting the driver trapped inside. In another video, taken on Halloween last year, around 10 youths could be seen congregating outside the family's house. On Bonfire Night, November 5, a boy could be seen entering their front garden and stealing the wheelie bin, which was then set on fire.

Children have also been caught on camera throwing objects at the Khans' house, kicking their car and tearing off one of the wing mirrors. Imran, who works as a community carer, said: "I feel this is no longer just about damage to property. It is about my family feeling unsafe in our own home and my children being afraid to play outside." He previously told the ECHO that he believed his family was being targeted because "we are the only ones on this street who are not English".

Police response and ongoing fears

Commenting on reports of the harassment back in December 2024, Local Policing Detective Inspector Yoseph Al-Ramadhan said: "We are taking the allegations very seriously and are currently investigating them and have increased high visibility patrols. If anyone has information on crime, anti-social behaviour or hate crime around the Pennard Avenue area in the Huyton area contact us. No one should be targeted or distressed by disgraceful behaviour regardless of their background or religious beliefs. Please be rest-assured that our enquiries continue to find the suspects, and officers are patrolling the area and visiting the family to provide assurance and advise on safety."

But while Imran says he received a phone call from Huyton police informing him they had identified a suspect, no action appears to have been taken, and his family continues to be targeted. He said: "The strange thing is, a community officer called me and said they had identified the person, and if they passed by our house again, to call them and they would remove them from the area. But nothing ever happened. I was more worried because the police know about them and yet they are not doing anything. My children cannot play out, they are scared. They'll only go out when I'm home. My daughter is working in the city centre in a takeaway and she's scared coming home because they finish late sometimes. We have to wait at the door for her when she's come from the bus stop."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Local Policing Inspector Raymond Mavrakakis said: "We can confirm that these incidents were reported by the victim concerned in 2025, as well as incidents in previous years. At the time of the reported incidents in November 2025 every effort was made to identify those responsible by analysing CCTV footage and circulating images of the reported suspects to our local policing and schools officers. We fully understand the fear and distress this type of anti-social behaviour and hate crime causes to victims in our communities and we will continue to take any action we can when information is received. On November 5, 2025 it was reported that youths entered the front garden of the victim's address and removed household bins. Several bins were taken across the road to a grassed area opposite the address and set alight. On November 18, 2025 it was reported that two boys entered the victim’s garden and stole his outdoor bins. On November 23, 2025 it was further reported that the same two boys damaged the wing mirrors of the victim’s car. The following day (Monday, November 24) it was reported that the boys approached the victim’s car while he was inside and intimidated him. My officers are aware of this address and will fully investigate any recent incidents that have taken place. Merseyside Police is committed to tackling hate crime in our communities, and it remains a key force priority. I would strongly encourage all victims to come forward and report such incidents. Where we identify a crime, we do everything we can to prosecute offenders, and offer the support of any partner agencies to ensure the person reporting gets the assistance they need to feel safe."

As part of the Merseyside Police and Crime Commissioner’s Victim Care Merseyside service, specialist support services are on hand to offer support if you’ve been affected by a hate crime. You can access this service either via the Victim Care website or by calling freephone 0808 175 3080. If for any reason, you do not wish to speak to the police, you can contact the independent charity Stop Hate UK to report a crime and get advice. Stop Hate UK’s helpline is available 24 hours a day and is completely confidential. You can report a hate crime by telephone 24/7 on 0800 138 1625, webchat at stophateuk.org/report-here/, or via the Stop Hate UK hate crime reporting app available on App store and Google Play store.