A woman was sexually assaulted in broad daylight at an underpass in Newcastle, prompting residents to demand urgent safety improvements. The incident occurred on July 28, when an unknown man reportedly approached a woman and inappropriately touched her over her clothing. She had been walking through the underpass beneath the A696, connecting Kingston Park and Newbiggin Hall, from Thornaby Close towards Greendyke Court.
Residents call for urgent safety upgrades
Newbiggin Hall resident Shelley Weatherson told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that the area on her side of the underpass had become plagued by fly-tipping, and families no longer felt safe using it. The 42-year-old said: “As a community we all used to use the underpass on a daily basis. That cannot happen now because it is not safe to do so, especially for women and children. It is really worrying.”
She added: “It is a beautiful area and we all want to be out in nature. So it is unfair that the council have let it go. It is a pathway to the retail area at Kingston Park and it is used by people coming to and from the Metro. Something needs to be done for local people and families.” Weatherson said: “We are not asking for the world, we just want the basics. If you cross to the other side of the subway, it is kept beautifully. Why can’t we have the same treatment?”
Councillor criticises council neglect
Newbiggin Hall and Callerton councillor Brian Moore said the council had “totally let the community down” by allowing the area around the underpass to deteriorate. He added: “The council is exposing women using the subway to being sexually assaulted. Do we need a vulnerable woman to be seriously assaulted by the subway before the council will act?”
Newcastle City Council said it had asked for the broken lighting to be repaired “urgently” and would carry out other improvements. A council spokesperson said: “We are very concerned to learn of the sexual assault of this woman and our thoughts are with her at this time.”
Council and police response
The spokesperson added: “We have visited the underpass and the surrounding area. As soon as we were made aware of the problems with the lighting of the underpass, we raised it with Northern Powergrid, who are the responsible organisation, to ensure that the lighting is fixed urgently. When a local councillor reported concerns with us, we went out to inspect the area and did not find any evidence of fly tipping. However, we are carrying out general grounds maintenance in the area around the underpass to cut back overgrown vegetation and continue to monitor the area.”
The council urged anyone with information about the assault, which occurred shortly before 2pm on July 28, to call 101 and quote reference number NP-20260728-0597. Northumbria Police previously described the alleged attacker as a black man in his 20s, wearing a black T-shirt, grey sweatpants and orange trainers.



