A father died after a colleague's vehicle hit and reversed over him at work. James Connolly, 49, was working as a lift supervisor on a large construction site in Ince, Ellesmere Port, in June 2023, where Michael Nixon was employed as a self-employed telehandler operator.
Fatal Incident at Construction Site
A telehandler combines the functions of a forklift and a crane by using an extendable hydraulic boom. It is often used in construction to move heavy loads. On the morning of June 11, Jamie was hit and reversed over by the telehandler being operated by Nixon while he was walking back to his work area from the welfare compound. Jamie suffered fatal injuries.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the principal contractor had taken steps to minimise the need for reversing on site, including the creation of a turning circle, which was unobstructed at the time of the incident. Despite this, Nixon, who was a qualified and experienced telehandler operator, chose to reverse the vehicle without the aid of a banksman, a trained worker who safely guides vehicles, lorries, and heavy machinery on construction sites.
Investigation Findings and Court Case
The investigation also found that Nixon had been using his phone whilst in control of the telehandler, contrary to the site rules he had signed up to. Nixon, 46, of Deeside, Heswall, Wirral, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. He was sentenced to 12 weeks' imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and fined £800. He was also ordered to pay £2,000 in costs, at Warrington Magistrates' Court on August 11 2026.
Family Tributes and HSE Statement
Jamie's daughter Amelia Connolly said: "I struggle with a great deal of anger. I am angry that my dad went to work and never came home. Alongside the sadness there is also a constant sense of injustice. It is difficult to accept that someone could leave home for work and never return to their family."
In a victim personal statement, Jamie's mother Pauline Connolly said: "I have constant flashbacks to that day and every time we get a phone call my heart drops and I fear the worst news, I am always saying, 'who is it? What is it?' Every time I see someone in a high viz jacket and a hard hat, I think it is Jamie. I am changed forever since my son's death. I miss and think about him every day. My first-born child. My only son."
HSE Principal Inspector Laura Royales said: "Workplace transport incidents remain one of the biggest causes of deaths in the workplace. It is vital that drivers follow the site rules and do not cut corners and put lives at risk. Our thoughts remain with the family of James Connolly."
This HSE prosecution was brought by HSE enforcement lawyer Nathan Cook and paralegal officer Benjamin Stobbart. The investigation was supported by Visiting Officer Sarah Ough.



