Four Men Plead Guilty to Manslaughter of Teenager John Soyoye
Four Men Plead Guilty to Manslaughter of John Soyoye

Four men brought back to the UK to face justice have pleaded guilty to manslaughter for their role in the death of a teenager after a clash between rival gangs in north Manchester. Alexander John Soyoye, known as John, was stabbed to death in Moston on November 5, 2020. He was 16.

Gang Feud Leads to Fatal Attack

The killing followed a feud between the Moston-based 'M40' gang and the Rochdale and Oldham group Representing the Danger (RTD). Hostilities escalated onto the streets, with 21 young men reportedly involved in total. John was killed as part of a revenge attack.

Ruben Candiza, 26; Valdo De-Almeida, 27; Marco Veiga, 25; and Emerson Teta, 25, had been on trial for murder and violent disorder at Manchester Crown Court. Three weeks into the trial, as their defence cases were about to begin, they changed their pleas to guilty of manslaughter. They were acquitted of murder. Sentencing is scheduled for August 20.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Previous Convictions and Extradition

Six members of the RTD gang were previously convicted of John's murder and sentenced in 2022. Francesco Raji, now 24, of Elm Road, Oldham; Christopher Semedo, now 27, of Elm Road, Oldham; Nelson Correia, now 26, of Petworth Road, Oldham; Ismiel Correia, now 24, of Cavanagh Close, Ardwick; Brent Tchipenda, now 23, of Wistaria Road, Gorton; and Octavio Antonio, now 24, of Deepdale Court, Moston were all given life sentences. Mohammed Al-Jaf, now 25, of Bradney Close, Blackley, was convicted of manslaughter.

The second trial, which began last month, heard that the stabbing of a relative of an M40 gang member in Piccadilly Gardens earlier on November 5 was the trigger for the revenge attack that led to John's death hours later. Prosecuting, Andrew Haslam KC said John was linked to the 'opposing gang', the M40, and was known as 'MD' or 'Morsley'. Some of that group were involved in the earlier attack in which Francesco Raji's younger brother was stabbed.

Pleas Accepted by Prosecution

RTD members later went to Moston to 'exact revenge', leading to a violent melee. M40 gang members were overwhelmed and fled, Mr Haslam said. John was injured in the earlier fight, became isolated, and was punched, kicked and stabbed, suffering 15 blows to his body. He died at the scene.

Candiza, De-Almeida, Veiga, Teta and a fifth man fled the country after the incident to 'evade arrest'. The fifth man remains in Portugal. Mr Haslam said the four men's guilty pleas to manslaughter were acceptable to the prosecution. He said: “After careful consideration of all of the evidence in this case, and after liaison between counsel and those instructing us at the highest level and also the officers who have investigated this case at length, those pleas are acceptable to the Crown.”

He stated the prosecution case was that the four men were 'not directly involved' in the physical attack on John, but provided 'assistance and or encouragement' to the principal offenders. Candiza, of Appleby Walk, Royton, Oldham; De-Almeida, of Brierley Street, Oldham; Veiga, of Burnsall Grove, Royton, Oldham; and Teta, of Chestnut Crescent, Oldham were acquitted of murder by the jury on the judge's directions. They will be sentenced at a hearing before the same court on August 20.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration