Two sisters are fighting for their lives and a third was seriously injured in the M9 crash that killed five teenagers, as their images were released. Niamh and Alma Kinsella, both in their 30s, remain in a critical condition after the family's Hyundai collided with a BMW being driven the wrong way near Moone, Co Kildare, shortly before 3am on August 16.
Their sister Ella Hendricken, in her 20s, was also seriously injured, along with a young boy who had been travelling in the back of the car. Five boys travelling in the BMW died in the crash: Jeremy O'Brien, 18, from Carlow; Alex McCarthy, 17, from Carlow; Joey Carthy, 15, from Athy, Co Kildare; Jack Kennedy, 17, also from Athy; and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick.
Family heading to Dublin Airport
Niamh and Alma are understood to have been sitting in the front of the Hyundai when the collision happened, while Ella and the child were in the rear, reports the Irish Mirror. The family, from the Graigecullen area of Co Carlow, are understood to have been travelling to Dublin Airport ahead of a wedding abroad.
Niamh and Alma remain in a critical condition at Tallaght Hospital, while Ella is being treated at St Vincent's Hospital in a serious condition. The boy is also receiving treatment for his injuries. The family were described locally as “lovely” and “quiet”. Ella is understood to be a social worker in Carlow, while Niamh works as a PE teacher at a local school.
Community prayers and calls for pursuit training
Carlow Parish Priest Fr Thomas Little, who has spoken to families affected by the crash, said the community was praying for those who were injured. He told the Irish Mirror: “The families of the ones that were hurt are hoping to God that they make a speedy recovery. The community is praying for them and we remembered them in our Masses since the car accident.”
“Those that have lost loved ones are bereft and regret that it has ever happened. There’s no doubt a horrendous accident and the emergency services and the guards and hospitals have responded as best they can to the circumstances.”
The crash has prompted renewed calls for Garda officers to receive specialist pursuit training, with the Garda Representative Association (GRA) saying no officers currently have the required training to legally pursue a vehicle. Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan has said Gardaí will receive pursuit training in the coming months, although the GRA believes it could be well into 2027 before even a small number of officers have completed it.
GRA representative Garda John Joe O’Connell, who represents officers in Co Kildare, said the organisation had been raising the issue for years. He said: “From our point of view these incidents of dangerous driving and reckless behaviour is not new. We’ve been calling for years - up to eight to 10 years in relation to pursuit training.”
“We warned about this so now yes any proposals of training courses, legislation and support for our members is very welcome. But training isn’t going to happen next week or next month. It’s going to be well into 2027 before a handful of our members are trained in this.” Garda O’Connell also called for legislation which he said would allow officers to intervene without fear of being criminally prosecuted.
He said: “So we have members who are subject to a disciplinary investigation when what they were trying to do is their job by stopping e-scooters or scramblers or a car. Something can be done now to allow our members to intervene without the fear of being criminally prosecuted themselves.” He added: “These are things we have been talking about for years and sadly it takes a tragedy for a politician to stand up on the soap box and make announcements. We are looking for more than announcements now. We are looking for action in relation to pursuit training. We are here to engage with senior garda management, the Department of Justice, Transport, whatever government officials have an interest in this field.”
Investigations and political reaction
Gardaí continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision, while Fiosrú, the Garda Síochána Ombudsman, is also examining Garda contact with the BMW before the crash. Taoiseach Micheál Martin said he was “shocked and saddened” by the tragedy, which he described as the result of “an irresponsible and dangerous act”.
He said incidents involving cars being driven the wrong way on motorways were, in some cases, “being done for likes on social media”. Martin added: “This is the second appalling crash we've seen on our roads in a matter of days as a result of the reckless driving of a car on the wrong side of the motorway, endangering the lives of innocent road users.”



