Mum of Brit shot dead in Texas to travel to US to push for new probe
Mum of Brit shot dead in Texas to travel to US for new probe

The mother of a British woman who was shot dead by her father in Texas is preparing to travel to the US in a bid to persuade prosecutors to reopen the investigation into her daughter's death.

Lucy Harrison, 23, from Warrington, Cheshire, was shot in the chest by her dad, Kris Harrison, while they were alone in a room at his home in Prosper, Texas, on January 10, 2025. A grand jury in Collin County decided there was insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges after Mr Harrison claimed the Glock handgun discharged accidentally while he was showing it to his daughter.

Coroner's Unlawful Killing Ruling

In February this year, a coroner in England ruled that Lucy had been unlawfully killed, finding that her father's actions amounted to gross negligence manslaughter under UK law. Senior coroner for Cheshire, Jacqueline Devonish, concluded that the gun could only have been fired after it was pointed at Lucy and the trigger was pulled.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The inquest heard that Mr Harrison had been drinking wine before removing a loaded Glock pistol from his bedside cabinet, and that police officers in Texas did not carry out an alcohol test despite smelling alcohol on his breath.

Family's Campaign for Justice

Speaking to the Press Association more than 19 months after her daughter's death, Jane Coates said she has felt "incredibly alone" and "deserted by the British authorities" throughout her campaign for justice for Lucy, and has urged the Government to give her their full backing. Ms Coates said she hopes to meet the Collin County District Attorney and campaign for a fresh investigation.

Ms Coates has now sought the help of Radd Seiger, who previously advised the family of Harry Dunn in their campaign for justice after the teenager was killed by a US citizen in a road crash in Northamptonshire.

Appeal to the British Government

Commenting on why she has felt "alone" during her campaign, Ms Coates told PA: "I think it’s not being heard - just raising all of our concerns and nothing being acted upon, and feeling like we’ve just been deserted by the British authorities."

"I think, save Sarah Hall, my MP, who has done everything in her capacity to raise and escalate Lucy’s case, it's just felt like there’s been doors shut at every single opportunity, and people haven’t been there for us."

Ms Coates said she had expected the unlawful killing conclusion to become a turning point in her campaign for justice. She continued: "We had to wait until February 2026 before we felt that we could freely speak about what we felt had happened to Lucy and how let down we felt."

"Receiving the unlawful killing outcome was a day full of complete mixed emotions, but one where finally Lucy’s truth and voice has been heard in some capacity. But from then it still hasn’t moved things forward in terms of my request for a reopening of the investigation in Texas."

Ms Coates said she, alongside Mr Seiger, are now planning to travel to Texas in the hope of persuading the Collin County District Attorney's office to reconsider the case in light of the coroner’s findings.

Asked what a successful trip to the US would look like, Ms Coates said: "It would be that they do accept the outcome from the coroner in terms of the unlawful killing. Although I know that it’s a completely different jurisdiction, a completely different law, so it’s about appealing to them in terms of our real concerns with the US investigation, with the Texas investigation, and that they do agree to reopen Lucy’s case and give it new consideration. That’s the ultimate goal."

Ms Coates said she was not asking the Foreign Office to interfere in the American justice system, but wanted ministers to publicly support her family. "Surely, having an unlawful killing conclusion in a coroner’s court should then mean something, and I definitely thought that it would have been escalated in the Foreign Office," she said.

"I’m not calling for the Foreign Office to interfere in jurisdiction abroad… but to be a voice for Lucy and for our family - to know that we are supported by the British Government, to be able to campaign for the case to be reopened."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

The family have requested a meeting with Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband and other senior officials. Asked what she would say directly to the Foreign Secretary, Ms Coates said: "I would say I am a bereaved mum who wants to do everything I possibly can to ensure justice for my daughter and to do the right thing by her and for her, and I really do want the full support of the British Government behind me, so that I no longer feel alone."

Mr Seiger said Ms Harrison’s case was exactly the type of complex international case that Dame Anne Owers’ review into the Government’s handling of the Dunn case envisaged would receive senior-level support. He said the family wanted the case lifted beyond routine consular handling and said he planned to travel to the United States with Ms Coates to meet the district attorney and seek a fresh investigation.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: "Our thoughts remain with Jane and her family for the tragic loss they have suffered. We were in contact with the family and provided consular support. We will always look to learn lessons to improve the consular support we offer to other families in the future."

It is understood Foreign Office officials are reviewing recent correspondence from Ms Harrison's family and intend to respond.