The trial of Duane Davis, the only person ever charged in connection with Tupac Shakur's murder, has begun in Los Angeles. Davis, also known as "Keffe D," pleaded not guilty to one count of murder in the 1996 drive-by shooting that killed the 25-year-old rapper in Las Vegas. Prosecutors hope to conclude the long-unsolved case, with proceedings expected to last several weeks.
Prosecution Alleges Open Admission
In his opening statement, prosecutor Binu Palal claimed Davis openly admitted to having a role in Tupac's murder. Palal said that while many gangsters stayed quiet after the shooting, Davis was "struggling" to deal with it. Between 1998 and 2003, Davis made a "number" of statements about the shooting, but a breakthrough came with a recording of a secret interview with a federal officer.
Palal explained that Davis made the confession during an appeal about the killing of the Notorious B.I.G., saying he could not help with that case but could "tell you about Tupac." He added: "He tells a federal taskforce about his involvement which you've heard is orchestration of the murder of Tupac Shakur."
Defence Cites Investigation Flaws
Davis' defence team, led by lawyer Michael Sanft, argued that the police investigation had significant problems. Sanft alleged that reports from a specific detective on the case had disappeared, and that many people in Compton's police department, which oversaw the case, had ties to gangs. This, he claimed, led to misconduct and incompetence that created holes in the initial investigation.
Sanft also alleged that another detective had issues with testing the supposed murder weapon, claiming a "fake" gun was given to police instead of the real one.
Retaliation and Witness Accounts
Prosecutor Palal said Davis did not pull the trigger but planned the shooting as "retaliation" after Tupac's entourage allegedly beat up his nephew, Orlando Anderson. Footage showed the attack on Anderson, which occurred just after the Mike Tyson fight on September 7. Palal argued Davis would agree to this version of events but added that Davis later capitalised on the shooting, even releasing a book about it.
Witnesses testified about the night of the shooting. Former detective Brent Becker said eyewitnesses were unsure how many people were in the car with Tupac, estimating between two and four occupants. Another witness, Ingrid Stokes, said "all hell broke loose" once the shooting started, describing erratic driving and a driver swap. Some witnesses were unwilling to testify due to fear of reprisals, according to detectives.
Book Used as Evidence
Davis was arrested in 2023, but police were already aware of him. A deal had been struck with law enforcement, where he served as an informant in exchange for no charges. However, after Davis released a 2019 book outlining his role in the murder, police claimed it broke the deal, making him liable. Davis' defence argued the book was sensationalised and fictionalised for profit, but the judge allowed it as evidence.
The trial continues.



