The mother of a Warrington woman unlawfully killed after being shot by her father in Texas is preparing to fly to the US to convince prosecutors to reopen the investigation into her daughter's death.
Jane Coates told the Press Association she has felt "incredibly alone" and "deserted by the British authorities" throughout her campaign for justice for her daughter Lucy Harrison, and has urged the Government to give her their full backing.
Speaking more than 19 months on from Ms Harrison's death, she said she hopes to meet the district attorney and campaign for a fresh investigation.
Background to the case
Ms Harrison, a 23-year-old fashion buyer from Warrington, Cheshire, was shot through the chest by her father, Kris Harrison, at his home in Prosper, Texas, on January 10, 2025, the day before she was due to fly home to the UK.
A grand jury in Collin County subsequently ruled there was insufficient evidence to pursue criminal charges after Mr Harrison claimed the Glock handgun discharged accidentally while he was showing it to his daughter.
In February this year, a coroner in England concluded Ms Harrison had been unlawfully killed, determining that her father's actions constituted gross negligence manslaughter under UK law.
Campaign for justice
Ms Coates has since enlisted the help of Radd Seiger, who previously advised the family of Harry Dunn in their campaign for justice after the teenager was killed by a US citizen in a road crash in Northamptonshire.
Explaining why she has felt "alone" throughout her campaign, Ms Coates told PA: "I think it's not being heard – just raising all of our concerns and nothing being acted upon, and feeling like we've just been deserted by the British authorities.
"I think, save Sarah Hall, my MP, who has done everything in her capacity to raise and escalate Lucy's case, it's just felt like there's been doors shut at every single opportunity, and people haven't been there for us."
Coroner's findings
Senior coroner Jacqueline Devonish determined in February that Mr Harrison's actions had been "reckless". The inquest was told he had consumed wine prior to retrieving a loaded Glock pistol from his bedside cabinet.
The coroner found the weapon could only have discharged after being aimed at Lucy with the trigger pulled, and was informed that Texas police officers failed to conduct an alcohol test despite detecting alcohol on his breath.
Ms Coates confirmed that she and Mr Seiger are now making plans to visit Texas, hoping to convince the Collin County District Attorney's office to reopen the case in light of the coroner's conclusions.
When asked what a successful outcome from the American trip would look like, Ms Coates said: "It would be that they do accept the outcome from the coroner in terms of the unlawful killing.
"Although I know that it's a completely different jurisdiction, a completely different law, so it's about appealing to them in terms of our real concerns with the US investigation, with the Texas investigation, and that they do agree to reopen Lucy's case and give it new consideration. That's the ultimate goal."
Government support sought
Ms Coates emphasised she wasn't requesting the Foreign Office meddle in the American judicial system, but sought ministerial backing for her family publicly.
"Surely, having an unlawful killing conclusion in a coroner's court should then mean something, and I definitely thought that it would have been escalated in the Foreign Office," she said.
"I'm not calling for the Foreign Office to interfere in jurisdiction abroad... but to be a voice for Lucy and for our family – to know that we are supported by the British Government, to be able to campaign for the case to be reopened."
The family have submitted a request for a meeting with Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband and other senior officials. When questioned about what would constitute a productive meeting, Ms Coates responded: "I think in the first instance it would be an acceptance and an understanding of what we have been through as a family, and for a recognition that things should have been different.
"And their assurances that they will publicly support us in our campaign and moving forward with the US authorities."
Ms Coates revealed that pursuing justice had afforded her limited opportunity to properly mourn Lucy. She shared with PA: "I think this second year has been much harder actually than the first.
"I think the first year was cocooned by shock, and so I just went through it in 'doing mode', and just being driven to try and do everything I possibly could to get Lucy a voice and justice for her."
She explained the second year had introduced the harsh reality of having lost her only child. "I think, at the moment, I'm in this position where I'm feeling that I've kind of got two daughters in one sense – like this campaigning daughter, where I go into this campaigning mode, and this mum who is campaigning for justice for Lucy, and she's become a campaign," she said.
"But then I've got my real daughter. I know the two are the same. But that softness is there, and I think it's just allowing myself to have those opportunities to just be in that place, just me and Lucy. But yeah, it's hard."
When asked what she would say directly to the Foreign Secretary, Ms Coates said: "I would say I am a bereaved mum who wants to do everything I possibly can to ensure justice for my daughter and to do the right thing by her and for her, and I really do want the full support of the British Government behind me, so that I no longer feel alone," she said.
"Because I have felt incredibly alone, and I'm not a bitter person. I will not allow bitterness to eat me or to consume me. It's not who I am."
A deputy head teacher, Ms Coates revealed that her campaign had captured the close attention of her pupils. She said: "How can I say to them when I go back into school, 'Guys, forget British values. It doesn't really matter about the rule of law because people won't support you'? I'm not going to say that, but they need to see that happening.
"Lucy is one person, but she represents so much more than one person – she does represent doing the right thing, and it doesn't matter whether it's in the UK or the US. We all know right from wrong."
Mr Seiger stated that Ms Harrison's case was precisely the kind of intricate international matter that Dame Anne Owers' review into the Government's management of the Dunn case had anticipated would receive high-level backing. He confirmed that the family wished to see the case elevated beyond standard consular proceedings, and revealed plans to accompany Ms Coates to the United States to meet the district attorney and pursue a fresh investigation.
An FCDO spokeswoman said: "Our thoughts remain with Jane and her family for the tragic loss they have suffered. We were in contact with the family and provided consular support. We will always look to learn lessons to improve the consular support we offer to other families in the future."
It is understood Foreign Office officials are reviewing recent correspondence from Ms Harrison's family and intend to respond. The Collin County District Attorney's Office has been approached for comment.



