Man United handed Myles Lewis-Skelly transfer boost as Arsenal statement opens door
Man United get Lewis-Skelly boost after Arsenal statement

Arsenal chief executive officer Richard Garlick has said the club would "consider" selling Manchester United target Myles Lewis-Skelly if the "right opportunity" came up.

Manchester Evening News reported earlier this month that United had been offered Lewis-Skelly following Arsenal's decision to sign Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle.

United's left-back search

United are searching for a new left-back before the end of the transfer window, and although Newcastle's Lewis Hall appears to be their first-choice target, Lewis-Skelly is an option.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The 19-year-old started in midfield and impressed for Arsenal during their 3-0 win against Manchester City in the Community Shield on Sunday, and is still expected to have a major role for the Gunners, despite Guimaraes' arrival.

Garlick's comments on Lewis-Skelly

But now, Garlick has opened up on Lewis-Skelly's future and did not rule out a potential departure before the September 1 deadline. "There's been a lot of speculation around players," said Garlick, when asked about Lewis-Skelly and his Arsenal teammate Ethan Nwaneri.

"I can't stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well - we're very, very happy with him.

"Ethan has had a great pre-season as well and I think it's just a case of looking at what opportunities there are that will help both of those in terms of their career moving forward.

"We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up - right for them and the club - we'd obviously consider that."

Arteta welcomes speculation

Garlick's comments come a matter of days after Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta said that he welcomes speculation around his players, amid increased talk around Lewis-Skelly's future.

The 2006-born defender had scored for the Gunners in a 1-1 draw against Serie A side Como last Wednesday and celebrated by making a heart sign to the crowd before tapping the badge.

"It's good to be emotional after scoring, you should be emotional when you score a goal," Arteta said post-match. "He's a very emotional player, you see with his gestures on the pitch.

"I'm not going to talk about speculation. If there is speculation about our players, it's a good sign. That means our players attract attention and are doing a good job."

Interest from Chelsea and contract details

Alongside United, it emerged that Chelsea were another club that had been offered Lewis-Skelly's services. The England international, however, still has four years left on his contract at the Emirates Stadium.

Though Lewis-Skelly can be useful in midfield, if he did join United it is more likely he would be used as a left-back with Carlos Baleba poised to become the next summer signing through the door at Old Trafford.

Baleba is closing in on joining the Reds for £60million plus add-ons from Brighton in what would be United's third midfield addition following Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans' moves to the club.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration