Harry Maguire's transfer plea to Manchester United this summer has so far fallen on deaf ears. The Premier League side are now less than three days out from their season-opener away to Hull City in Saturday's early kick-off.
Quiet Transfer Window
It's been an unusually quiet window for United, who've signed just three first-team players. Michael Carrick has strengthened his side's midfield with the signings of Andrey Santos from Chelsea for £50million and Youri Tielemans from Aston Villa for £35m.
They also brought in goalkeeper Karl Darlow from Leeds United last month, with United yet to welcome any new arrivals since. At the time of the triple signing, which was confirmed in the space of two days, Maguire had called for even more signings to be made.
Maguire's Call for Reinforcements
The former United captain said to Sky Sports: "I played with Tielemans for a few months and he's going to be an incredible signing, I have no doubt about that. He's Belgium's captain and played most games for Aston Villa last season. He was a big player there."
"Andrey Santos played yesterday [in the pre-season friendly against Wrexham]. He really impressed us in the first week and I think we've signed two great players there." The England defender added: "Hopefully more are coming through the door," before continuing: "As a player I want a big competitive squad. One that we can go and challenge for the big trophies so the more the merrier."
Maguire has since doubled down on his stance, admitting he wants as many top players to join the club, despite the risk it'd have on his starting spot in Carrick's backline. He told Sky Sports: "When you play for this club, you want competition for places and it's so important that we have a huge squad."
"I'm at an age now where they can bring in as many as they want, bring in all the best players. I want to win all the trophies and be greedy about it, but it's up to the club."
Rashford's Future at Old Trafford
In terms of outgoings, Maguire has pleaded for Marcus Rashford to remain at Old Trafford, amid the uncertainty over his future. The 28-year-old featured for United in their pre-season friendly against AC Milan for the first time since late 2024.
While Carrick has not confirmed whether Rashford will stay for the upcoming season, keeping him in Manchester is a no-brainer for the centre-back. He said: "Obviously, the transfer window is still open. As players, we hope he stays because if he does, he is a big asset to have. He can improve us for sure."
"You saw when he came on, he threatened the back line really well. He could have scored. He's a huge threat. I've played with Marcus for numerous years and I know that playing against him and playing with him in training is going to help us."



