NASA satellite images show dozens of wildfires continue to rampage across Wales, with the army now deployed to tackle the hardest-hit regions.
Alert and Army Deployment
Last week, the UK government announced a temporary ban on disposable barbecues while residents across England and Wales received a wildfire warning alert. The alarm, sent to mobile devices on Friday, warned against using fireworks, disposable barbecues or setting fires in a bid to combat the problem.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the alert was sent in support of firefighters after he visited Stourbridge where a fire tore through homes and forced families to evacuate.
More than 200 soldiers have been drafted in to Wales to help stamp out fires that have rampaged through homes and landscapes, where several residents have also been forced to flee their homes.
NASA Data and Fires
According to NASA satellites, more than 580 wildfires were detected in the 48 hours after, with the worst affected in Wales. In Powys, 166 fires were recorded followed by Blaenau Gwent, with 113, and Carmarthenshire, 101.
NASA satellites detect fires by their Fire Radiative Power (measured in Megawatts) and their brightness temperature (measured in degrees C). Over the weekend, South Wales has seen the hottest wildfires with several in Powys and Carmarthenshire reaching a flame temperature of 93.8C, according to the NASA data.
New NASA maps reveal blazes are still burning across Wales in the last 48 hours, including at Treherbert. It comes as three teens have been arrested on suspicion of arson after a fire broke out behind Treherbert railway station yesterday.
Four more teens, aged 14, were also arrested on suspicion of arson near Porth.
Current Incidents and Response
On Sunday, fire services confirmed they were attending 20 separate incidents.
As of today (Monday, August 17), South Wales Fire and Rescue Service says it is attending 14 calls out, with the most serious located in Blaenavon; Dowlais; Darran Park, Ferndale; Cwm, Ebbw Vale; Wattsville and Treherbert.
Meanwhile, Mid and West Wales Fire Service is on the scene of six in Llangynidr, Rhandirmwyn, Pontarddulais, Gorseinon, Llanelli and Tenby.
South Wales chief fire officer Fin Monahan told BBC Radio 4’s Broadcasting House programme on Sunday: “There is a real arson problem here.
“It’s staggering that in our society there are people who are prepared to go out and not just light a fire, but actually put people’s lives in danger.
“This is really, really irresponsible behaviour. If there’s anybody out there who knows of an arsonist, do please report them to the police because this needs to be taken very seriously.”



