Hosepipe ban hits Wessex Water customers for first time in 50 years
Hosepipe ban hits Wessex Water customers for first time in 50 years

A hosepipe ban has come into force for all of Wessex Water’s 1.4 million customers across Bath, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, starting Tuesday. It is the first such ban the company has imposed in 50 years, since the summer of 1976.

The company cited increased demand during the dry weather and longer-term forecasts as reasons for the temporary restriction, saying resources must be protected for customers and the environment. More than 27 million people across England have now had hosepipe use restricted in their area.

Rain finally arrives

Following the fifth heatwave of the summer, this week is forecast to be wetter with cooler conditions closer to average for the time of year, the Met Office said. Showers are expected on Tuesday in the north, particularly the North West, with another area of rain moving into the South West by evening, according to deputy chief forecaster Mike Silverstone.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

This will then likely spread east across the South, bringing the first spell of widespread rain to areas in need most, he added. “Thursday will be a day of heavy showers across much of the UK, while some of these will be heavy some areas will miss them altogether,” Silverstone said. “As some of these showers could be intense, there is a chance of some surface water flooding as the rain falls on very dry and hard ground.”

Dry spell and wildfire risk

By Friday, conditions are expected to turn drier again through the weekend before more rain is forecast next week. The change comes after the UK’s fifth heatwave, during which the hottest day of the year was recorded in Kew Gardens, London, on Thursday when temperatures reached 38.1C.

The forecast rain may bring some welcome relief to parched land and firefighters tackling wildfires. But it is unlikely to end widespread drought conditions that have put severe pressure on wildlife, farmers, transport, emergency services infrastructure and water resources.

Among the driest areas are Wisley in Surrey, which has recorded 61 consecutive dry days since June 17, and Heathrow in Greater London, which has measured 55 consecutive dry days since June 23, according to Met Office data. Wildfires have ravaged parts of the UK, including in the West Midlands where a blaze in Stourbridge destroyed 19 homes.

Wildfire alerts

Several fire services have asked people to call 999 only to report a genuine emergency. In an update on Monday, the National Fire Chiefs Council said 1,132 wildfires have now been recorded across England and Wales in 2026 so far – a record high for the period between January and this time of year.

On Friday evening, millions of people in England and Wales received an alert on their mobile devices warning of a “very high risk of wildfires nationally”.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration