East Sussex Train Derailment Probe Focuses on Hot Weather as Track Buckled, Injuring 30
East Sussex Train Derailment Probe Focuses on Hot Weather

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) has said its investigation into a train derailment near Lewes, East Sussex, that injured 30 people will consider the weather conditions, as a track appeared to have buckled on the hottest day of the year so far.

The incident occurred on Thursday, August 13, on a Southern service from London Victoria to Eastbourne. The RAIB released a CCTV image showing the bent track where the derailment happened.

Investigators described the fault – recorded by cameras on preceding services – as a "track geometry irregularity".

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Hottest Day of 2026

Last Thursday was the UK's hottest day of 2026 so far, with temperatures reaching 38.1C in west London. The RAIB noted there was "a sustained period of hot and dry weather" before the accident. There is a risk of rails buckling during high temperatures as they can be 50C when the air temperature is 30C.

After the accident, investigators received "several reports of rough riding" from passengers on other trains at the same location.

Details of the Derailment

Preliminary analysis of the derailed train's onboard data recorder shows it was travelling at about 65mph as it approached the point of derailment at 3.54pm. About 150 people were onboard the eight-carriage service.

Three carriages ended up on their side, trapping passengers. A total of 30 people were injured, including 20 who required hospital treatment, the RAIB said. British Transport Police previously said two people sustained serious injuries which were not deemed to be life-threatening.

Investigation and Response

The RAIB said its investigation will consider the weather conditions as well as the status of the track and embankment, the condition of the train and the effectiveness of any measures taken to address potential issues caused by hot weather.

Lucy McAuliffe, Network Rail's Sussex route director, and John Whitehurst, chief executive at GTR, which operates Southern, issued a joint statement, which insisted Britain's railway is "one of the safest in the world". It is "essential" that "we understand exactly what happened" at Lewes and "identify any lessons that can be learned", they said.

They added: "We will carefully consider any recommendations arising from the investigation and work across the industry to implement them."

The railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath will remain closed until at least the end of service on August 26 as the train is recovered and the track repaired.

A Department for Transport (DfT) spokesperson said: "Safety remains the absolute priority across our rail network, and we will ensure the industry acts on any findings in the Rail Accident Investigation Branch's full report when published."

They added: "The UK's railways remain among the safest in the world, with the number of delays caused by track faults falling by 45% since the late 2000s. We're investing £29 billion to renew and maintain the network and a further £2.6 billion to improve climate resilience."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration