Three family members who died after getting into difficulty in the sea off Shoreham have been named by police as Hassan El-Khawas, 55, his partner Zeina Alayn, 37, and their 14-year-old daughter Sara El-Khawas.
They are thought to have gone into the water to swim alongside a young female family member near Shoreham Fort in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, on Tuesday afternoon. Police, paramedics, coastguard crews and a lifeboat attended the scene, where four people were pulled from the water. Three were pronounced dead on Tuesday, while the young girl remains in hospital in a critical condition.
Investigation and background
Sussex Police said its investigation remains open, but after a review of CCTV footage and initial witness accounts, it is currently thought the deaths were a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement. Sources have said there is currently no evidence to suggest a fishing net was involved.
It is understood the family travelled from their home in London to visit Shoreham, officers said. Earlier on Wednesday, the Palestinian embassy said Mr El-Khawas was a Palestinian refugee from the Rashidieh Camp in Lebanon. Rashidieh Camp is on the Mediterranean coast in southern Lebanon and is one of the most populous Palestinian refugee camps in the country.
In a statement on Facebook, the embassy said it was "closely monitoring the incident". It added: "As the embassy extends its deepest condolences and sympathy to the victims' family, their loved ones, and members of the Palestinian community in the United Kingdom in this painful affliction, it wishes the injured girl a speedy recovery."
Warnings and community reaction
Prime Minister Andy Burnham warned of the dangers of open water swimming after the incident, which he described as "a terrible family tragedy". He said: "The thing I can say today – and there is still, I think, a further heatwave to come in this summer period – it is just to remind people about the dangers of open water swimming. The coldness, even when it feels hot outside, it can shock people and that can cause the difficulties. So people just need to remember that at all times."
Chief Superintendent James Collis said: "The events of Tuesday afternoon are a heartbreaking tragedy which has devastated a family and their friends and had a profound impact on the Shoreham community. The thoughts of all at Sussex Police remain with the family's loved ones as we work with our partners, including HM Coroner, to understand exactly how this incident occurred."
Nearby residents told of their shock at the tragedy. Joss Loader, who lives nearby and represents Shoreham Beach Residents' Association on Adur District Council, said: "There's just a really strong sense of shock, obviously people are really concerned for the young girl. It's school holidays and we have had a wonderful summer so the beaches have been packed with families."
Anna Peacock, 81, who lives near Kingston Beach across the water from Shoreham Fort, said: "People come down to swim, particularly in the summertime, and I don't think they realise there's a riptide along here. It's very inviting to come to the sea, but the tide could carry you out in seconds, and I don't think people have realised that."
Robina Baine, also an Adur councillor who represents the Southwick Green ward where the RNLI lifeboat station is, said: "These events are absolutely tragic and our thoughts are with the family and friends that have lost their loved ones. I have been here for 46 years and this is the most tragic incident there has been."
The force said it will prepare a file for the coroner ahead of any inquest.



