All remaining Ardrossan-Brodick ferry sailings for Saturday, August 22 have been cancelled following an alleged bomb threat and an incident in which a passenger went overboard. Emergency services were called to Ardrossan Harbour after the passenger was rescued from the Firth of Clyde and threats were made towards CalMac staff yesterday afternoon.
Incident forces evacuation of vessel and port
The disruption stems from an incident on Friday, August 21, which sparked the evacuation of both the MV Caledonian Isles and the Port of Ardrossan last night. Sailings this morning were also cancelled.
CalMac said that "readiness procedures" are currently being worked through on the MV Caledonian Isles, and that the move was to ensure that "both the vessel and crew are prepared to return to sea safely".
Alternative routes and customer advice
Services between Troon and Brodick will continue as planned, but CalMac has warned of limited capacity on the route. A shuttle service will also run between Cloanaig and Lochranza, but it is expected to be busier than normal and preferred sailing times are not guaranteed.
It is not known when sailings between Ardrossan and Brodick will resume, but an update on services for Sunday, August 23 is expected by 3.30pm.
Man arrested after threats deemed not credible
At around 5.30pm on Friday, August 21, a man was reported overboard from the MV Caledonian Isles, which was operating the 4.40pm sailing from Brodick to Ardrossan at the time. The RNLI were scrambled to the scene, and CalMac crew launched their Fast Rescue Craft to save the passenger from the water.
He was successfully rescued by the CalMac crew before he is alleged to have caused a disturbance and made threats to staff. CalMac previously said that they were warned that a bomb was on board the vessel, forcing the crew to immediately launch emergency protocols.
This included launching a thorough search and removing passengers on foot as soon as the vessel berthed at Ardrossan harbour. Those who were on board and at the port were then guided to the nearby Asda car park by police as the search was carried out. The incident was stood down around 8pm by police after discovering the threat was not credible.
Police Scotland confirmed that a 23-year-old man had been arrested following the incident. A spokesperson for CalMac said: "MV Caledonian Isles is currently working through readiness procedures following the reported incident on Friday, August 21. To ensure that both the vessel and crew are prepared to return to sea safely, all remaining Ardrossan-Brodick sailings for Saturday, August 22 have been cancelled. We are contacting customers with an affected booking and apologise for any inconvenience."
"If you are travelling to Arran this weekend, please be advised that our Troon-Brodick service has limited capacity and booking in advance is recommend. Alternatively, our Cloanaig-Lochranza route is operating a shuttle service however it is busier than normal and preferred sailing times are not guaranteed."
"An update on the Ardrossan-Brodick service for Sunday, August 23 is expected by approximately 3.30pm today. Visit calm.ac/05 for further updates. Thank you for your continued patience."
Speaking yesterday, a spokesperson for Police Scotland said: "A 23-year-old man has been arrested following an incident on a ferry in Ardrossan. Around 5.45pm on Friday, August 21, we were made aware that a man had gone overboard the vessel and had caused a disturbance and made threats when he was rescued by staff."
"Officers attended and a 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident. Enquiries are ongoing. It has been established that the threats made were not credible."
"The incident has since concluded and there is no threat to the wider public. Due to expected disruption, members of the public are advised to contact Calmac for further travel information."



