O'Neill bans Celtic social media before LASK clash
O'Neill bans Celtic social media before LASK clash

Martin O'Neill has imposed a social media blackout on his Celtic players as they prepare to defend a 3-0 lead against LASK in the Champions League playoff second leg in Linz, Austria. The Hoops boss is determined to avoid any complacency as his side looks to secure a return to the group stage.

Celtic travel to Austria on the back of a thrilling 3-0 first-leg victory in Glasgow last week. Despite the commanding advantage, O'Neill insists no one at the club is treating their place among Europe's elite as a foregone conclusion.

No Complacency Allowed

The manager warned his players to stay off social media to remain focused on finishing the job. "Honestly, I swear to you, there will be no complacency," O'Neill said. "The players know it, they absolutely do know that we're playing against a really good side."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

He highlighted the threat posed by LASK, saying: "They're capable of scoring with a lot of pace up front. They're strong, athletic and even their smaller lads are very, very quick. So we've got our work cut out."

O'Neill added: "I don't even think I'll have to say anything to our lads, I really don't. Of course, I had some chat after the game the other night. But I promise you, regardless of the result, we will not be complacent."

Social Media Warning

He revealed his direct instruction to the squad: "One thing I said to the players was don't be going on Facebook or Instagram, or whatever else they call it. I told them, leave it, leave it. They know. And if they don't know, then they shouldn't be playing the game."

O'Neill cannot add to his squad ahead of Tuesday's return showdown in Linz, but he is pushing ahead with plans to strengthen his team, with several targets being pursued. Bosnian midfielder Ermin Mahmic is in advanced talks, while Canada ace Niko Sigur remains an option, along with Torino powerhouse Gvidas Gineitis.

Goalkeeper Hunt

O'Neill confirmed he is also in the market for a goalkeeper to challenge Viljami Sinisalo. The Finland shot-stopper impressed in last week's win over LASK, but the Hoops boss wants competition following Kasper Schmeichel's retirement at the end of last season and is chasing Blackburn's £4m-rated number one, Balazs Toth.

"We need another goalkeeper," O'Neill said. "But I think Viljami was fantastic on Wednesday night with some big, big saves for us. They were in the ascendancy at that stage too."

He added: "We'll be bringing in competition, but he can only thrive on that. That's the whole point. When he came, he signed as a No.2. Kasper was the goalkeeper at that stage but since his injury, Viljami has been super for us."

O'Neill also offered some advice to Sinisalo: "If he gets a wee bit stronger, and fills out a little bit more so he can take the buffeting, then that could help. I maybe should have mentioned that to him first! No, I said to him in the dressing room that I thought he did great."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration