Manchester United are reportedly still confident they can pull off a move for Myles Lewis-Skelly, despite the youngster's impressive performance in the Community Shield against Manchester City. Lewis-Skelly picked up an assist in the 3-0 victory for Arsenal and was deployed in the centre of midfield.
United's interest persists
It comes after Lewis-Skelly was said to have been offered to United and Chelsea last week, following the big-money arrival of Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle. Lewis-Skelly, who also scored during a recent friendly win over Como, is said to be happy fighting for his place at the Emirates Stadium and isn't pushing for a move away.
Despite this, United do hold a keen interest and are reportedly pushing for a move. According to The Athletic, they believe a deal can be struck between now and the end of the transfer window, with Michael Carrick keen to sign a hybrid full-back-midfielder profile.
Profile and price tag
Lewis-Skelly would be the perfect option in that position, having originally broken into the Arsenal starting XI as a left-back. He has transitioned back to midfield in recent months, but any move is unlikely to come cheap, given Arsenal are said to want a fee north of £60million to let him leave.
If for whatever reason that proves too high, or United are unable to convince Lewis-Skelly to ditch north London, it's suggested the three-time European champions do have a Plan B. Jorge Salinas is believed to be on the club's radar, with the teenager having impressed at Racing Santander.
Plan B and other targets
The Spanish under-19 international would be a much cheaper option too, with a price tag rumoured to be in the region of £13.6m. While Salinas might not be an automatic starter for United, he would represent a solid squad addition to allow Carrick to rotate his options in defence, most notably Luke Shaw, who looked shaky at times during pre-season.
United had been courting Lewis Hall from Newcastle, but given the Magpies' rocky summer, United were told under no uncertain terms that the Englishman wasn't available. At least not this summer. What's more, Club Brugge have insisted that reports linking Joaquin Seys with a United transfer aren't to be believed, as the Belgian won't be leaving.
Season opener approaching
Carrick and co. kick-start their season on Saturday afternoon when they make the trip to Premier League newbies Hull City. It's another newly-promoted team in the second game of the season, this time Ipswich Town at Old Trafford, with games against Everton and Manchester City to follow.



