Former Bayern Munich defender Niklas Sule has made a stunning return to football just months after retiring, now playing for ninth-tier German side SV Tiefenbach. The 30-year-old, who won the Champions League with Bayern in 2020, has undergone a dramatic transformation and appeared in a midfield role for the amateur outfit.
Sule's Glittering Career Cut Short by Injuries
Sule starred for Bayern Munich from 2017 to 2022, winning 14 major honours including five league titles and the Champions League as part of their historic treble in 2020. He joined Borussia Dortmund after five years in Bavaria and reached a second European final in 2024, but lost 2-0 to Real Madrid. Sule opted to end his career at the end of the 2025/26 campaign due to persistent knee injuries.
He had torn his ACL twice before and almost did it a third time against former club Hoffenheim in the final weeks of last season. The scare caused him to call it quits, but Sule didn't stay away from the football pitch for long.
Return to the Pitch in Ninth Division
Less than three months after his decision, the ex-Germany international returned to play for ninth-tier German side SV Tiefenbach. He cut a drastically different look than when he played in his last professional match against boyhood club Eintracht Frankfurt in May earlier this year. Footage of Sule was posted across social media, with his newfound advanced role giving him the opportunity to score a header on his debut for the amateur outfit.
Fans of the club were noticeably excited to have a player like him in their midst, with the footballer seen taking selfies and signing autographs for supporters. His coach, Jason Walzel, said: "I think he's enjoying it more playing a bit more offensively now. He was there on Saturday and then again on Thursday and Friday. I don't think it was planned that he would one day actually play in the Kreisliga. The boys are happy, he's a great guy."
Emotional Retirement Decision
Sule admitted in his retirement announcement that the fear of tearing his ACL for a third time resulted in him breaking down after being forced off against Hoffenheim. He told the Spielmacher podcast: "I would like to announce that I will be ending my career this summer. What I felt when our team doctor did the drawer test in the dressing room in Hoffenheim, looked at the physio and shook his head, and the physio did it too and didn't feel any resistance either - I went into the shower and cried for 10 minutes."
He added: "In that moment, I really thought, 'It's torn.' When I went for an MRI the next day and received the good news [that it wasn't an ACL injury], it was one thousand per cent clear to me that it was over. I couldn't imagine anything worse than looking forward to life - being independent, going on holiday, spending time with my children - only to then have to come to terms with my third cruciate ligament tear."



