Real Madrid Provide Evidence to UEFA in Vinicius Jr Racism Case
Real Madrid have officially submitted all available evidence to UEFA as part of the governing body's investigation into allegations of racism made by their forward Vinicius Junior. The incident occurred during Tuesday's Champions League knockout round play-off match against Benfica in Lisbon.
Details of the Alleged Incident
The Brazilian international claims he reported racial abuse by a Benfica player to match referee Francois Letexier during the fixture. Real Madrid have identified the player in question as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni. In response to the allegations, UEFA opened a formal disciplinary investigation on Wednesday.
In a club statement, Real Madrid announced: "Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred on Tuesday, February 17, during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica."
The statement continued: "Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match. Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all sectors of the global football community."
Match Disruption and Aftermath
The match was temporarily paused in accordance with UEFA protocols after Vinicius alleged he had been racially abused following his goal celebration. The stoppage lasted approximately ten minutes, after which Vinicius completed the full game.
Following the match, Vinicius expressed his frustration on social media, posting in Portuguese on his Instagram story: "Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are. But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family's."
The forward added: "I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why. On the other side, just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose."
Responses from Involved Parties
Gianluca Prestianni has publicly denied making any racist comments toward Vinicius Junior in a post on his own Instagram account. Meanwhile, Benfica have criticized what they describe as a "defamation campaign" against their player.
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho has also faced scrutiny for comments made after the match. Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out described Mourinho's remarks as "gaslighting" and inappropriate given the serious nature of the allegations.
Mourinho told Amazon Prime: "I told (Vinicius), when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. They (Vinicius and Prestianni) told me different things. But I don't believe in one or another. I want to be an independent." The coach added that "something happens, always" in matches where Vinicius plays.
Real Madrid concluded their statement by affirming their commitment to combating discrimination: "Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society."